• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Rielly didn't have a first round to brag about, but he's still a gamer and a leader, and very good at playing the transition game.

He's also signed to a pretty nice contract.

I'd have zero interest in trading him. Just add around him.

Lol of course they would.
Would they? Is there a long list of teams that have traded away 6'5 21 year old power forwards picked 2nd overall just as they're blossoming into stars, and also giving up 21 year old offensive d-men with star upside in the same trade?

Byfield was looking pretty busty until "breaking out" with a 55pt season as a winger this year.

Everyone knew he was a bit of a project (as young PF's usually are) coming out of the draft, but you don't get selected at 1-2 without massive upside.

He showed flashes this year of being a stud. PPG in the AHL the year before, 55 points this year, 4 pts in 5 playoff games.

I mean, if he and Clarke are available, sign me the fuck up.

You’re talking like the Kings wouldn’t be getting one of the best players in the league in return. Like Byfield is untouchable or something? They would only trade him for McDavid? Not offering Robertson and a 3rd here. Come on.

This type of player rarely gets traded. It's fair to reiterate that Marner is a valuable player himself, and not someone a team needs to "dump". But also someone a year away from free agency who shits his pants every post-season but wants to get paid like Auston Matthews.

I see axl's point. It's not often a Marner gets traded but when they do, just a year off from free agency, the return is usually underwhelming.

I'm not really holding my breath for a package as good as that, as much as he should have that kind of value.

I think you move Tavares. That’s the shakeup to the core. Out with the robot leader. I’d keep Marner. Look to Chicago and San Jose? San Jose had interest years ago. Has lots of cap space. And might be looking for a professional top 6 center to help Celebrini acclimate to being a #1 pick. Leadership blah blah. Chicago for similar reasons.

Marner isn’t even in the top 5 of leafs I’d move:

Tavares
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Reaves

Should all be moved.

If we want a shakeup I’d look to move Reilly. He’s good, but maybe he’s the guy to change the look of the team.

then I’d look at Marner. And even then I think we probably lose any trade. And with Tree in charge I’d say it’s likely we REALLY lose.

I can see a scenario where Chicago is interested in taking on Tavares, but i dont for a second think they would give the Leafs anything remotely substantial.

I see axl's point. It's not often a Marner gets traded but when they do, just a year off from free agency, the return is usually underwhelming.

I'm not really holding my breath for a package as good as that, as much as he should have that kind of value.

Not an issue if the place he waives for knows his extension number and is cool with it.

I don’t think they’ll move Marner in the end. He probably won’t waive his NMC unless the team he’s going to agrees to an extension, and I don’t see another team willing to give up assets plus extend Marner at $13-14M/year.

Not the worst thing, they keep Marner for another year and then decide either to overpay badly to extend him or let him walk and have a bundle of cap space to allocate elsewhere.

Not an issue if the place he waives for knows his extension number and is cool with it.
Shouldn't be yeah. But teams fall in love with their own home grown kids. They may not be horny to give them up for a guy with the reputation of a playoff failure that's about to demand 12m bucks on a long-term deal. I hope they go for it because it's Marner, after all, but it doesn't always work that way.

Of course if you don't get those kinds of offers you just keep him.

Back