• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Answer the question yourself?
I mean, for the purposes of this, do I assume all UFAs walk? If so, that makes it super easy.

As I've said, there isn't much do with the current roster in terms of forcing people out. Tavares and Marner should stay, for different reasons. All the UFAs should be let go. So who remains under contract that needs to leave?

1. Kampf
2. Reaves
3. Jarny (if there's a need for $2M more to spend on someone).

That's it. The job is easy when it comes to clearing space - it's 90% done already.

The part that matters is filling in those spots without giving someone like Bertuzzi 5 x $6M or bringing back Baboon and Eddy on multi-year deals.

Tbh it was one of the more bizarre pressers I've ever seen. Can't tell if he's depressed, sick, hates his coach, hates his teammates, or hates hockey entirely.

Holy shit, everyone is stupid.

Nah, this isn't it.

You're worried about losing a guy who might struggle to put up 25/60 next season and will 100% struggle to do it if his PP1 minutes are taken away (which is entirely warranted due to his lack of production in those minutes this year) and makes 11 million because we'll "miss his offence"

He was a mediocre offensive producer this year despite a PP1 role with 3 elite forwards and having 1 of those elite forwards glued to him for more or less every shift this season.

Leafs p/60 last 2yrs

Matthews 2.81
Domi 2.73
Marner 2.71
Nylander 2.46
O'Reilly 2.40
Robertson 2.23

Tavares 1.99
Knies 1.97
Bunting 1.94
McMann 1.93
Jarnkrok 1.89
Bertuzzi 1.88
Holmberg 1.83

Lafferty 1.70
Engvall 1.54
Kerfoot 1.48
Dewar 1.40
Anderson 1.39

Kampf 1.25
ZAR 1.10
Malgin 1.00
Reaves 0.92
Simmonds 0.91
Acciari 0.89
Gregor 0.85

p1/60

Matthews 2.48

Marner 2.15
O'Reilly 2.06
Domi 1.92
Nylander 1.91

Robertson 1.65
Bunting 1.62
Knies 1.56
Holmberg 1.50
Tavares 1.49
Jarnkrok 1.47
Bertuzzi 1.40
Anderson 1.39
Engvall 1.36
McMann 1.32

Dewar 1.05
Malgin 1.00
Kerfoot 0.99
ZAR 0.94
Reaves 0.92
Acciari 0.89
Gregor 0.85
Lafferty 0.85
Kampf 0.79

Simmonds 0.46

Nah, this isn't it.

You're worried about losing a guy who might struggle to put up 25/60 next season and will 100% struggle to do it if his PP1 minutes are taken away (which is entirely warranted due to his lack of production in those minutes this year) and makes 11 million because we'll "miss his offence"

He was a mediocre offensive producer this year despite a PP1 role with 3 elite forwards and having 1 of those elite forwards glued to him for more or less every shift this season.
If you're going to remove his $11M without having to pay someone and add some amazing player somehow, then it's something to consider.

The game plan should be to spend that $25M as best we can first, see what the roster looks like, and then look to what opportunity might be out there still to improve by sending off the last year of the deal. IF he even waives, which I don't think he would.

To start out by wanting to blow up the core makes zero sense to me when there are such obvious problems with the rest of the team.

If you're going to remove his $11M without having to pay someone and add some amazing player somehow, then it's something to consider.

The game plan should be to spend that $25M as best we can first, see what the roster looks like, and then look to what opportunity might be out there still to improve by sending off the last year of the deal. IF he even waives, which I don't think he would.

To start out by wanting to blow up the core makes zero sense to me when there are such obvious problems with the rest of the team.
to most, HE and his salary is the most obvious problem.

You seem to have no actual concept how little 25M is going into the offseason with so many holes, but whatever, it's more fun to wait until July 1st when you go apeshit over how FA are being crazy overpaid.

to most, HE and his salary is the most obvious problem.

You seem to have no actual concept how little 25M is going into the offseason with so many holes, but whatever, it's more fun to wait until July 1st when you go apeshit over how FA are being crazy overpaid.
If Knies, McMann, Robertson, Holmberg, Minten, and Cowan all find their way onto the roster next year, then we are so far ahead of things that we may not even be able to spend the $25M.

I think everyone is underestimating how much we need to add and how much it would cost if we are filling a bunch of spots with kids.

Back