• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

If Knies, McMann, Robertson, Holmberg, Minten, and Cowan all find their way onto the roster next year, then we are so far ahead of things that we may not even be able to spend the $25M.

I think everyone is underestimating how much we need to add and how much it would cost if we are filling a bunch of spots with kids.
Like, you are so deep down this rabbit hole you are completely convinced the latter two can play regular roles in the NHL next year? Honestly next to xzero chance, and for what? to keep the illusion that Tavares is still a good fit?

Plus you will no doubt lowball every FA you intend on bringing in

Like, you are so deep down this rabbit hole you are completely convinced the latter two can play regular roles in the NHL next year? Honestly next to xzero chance, and for what? to keep the illusion that Tavares is still a good fit?

For what? To contribute. You have no fucking idea if they can or can't contribute six months away from training camp.

Minten was given the shot earlier this year. Who says he can't win the spot for good next year? Cowan is crushing it. How the hell do you know if he can cut it or not next season?

For what? To contribute. You have no fucking idea if they can or can't contribute six months away from training camp.

Minten was given the shot earlier this year. Who says he can't win the spot for good next year? Cowan is crushing it. How the hell do you know if he can cut it or not next season?
Mintens production
Cowans age

Ah crap. I hate when I have to do this… but I don’t think it’d be that crazy for Cowan to make the jump.

It's crazy to spend the $25M first before deleting good players?

Yes.

Because Tavares isn't 11 million dollars worth of "good player" and this is before we get into the discussion about perennial playoff failure and shit leadership that we just need to move on from.

There is no single move that will change the culture of this team as much as moving on from captain roboto and his 11 million dollar caphit. Full stop. Moving on from him puts us in a cap position to fill all of our holes (G, 2 top 3 defenders, multiple wingers, and preferably a good 3C for a change) without losing anything particularly valuable to us.

He's easy to replace at 5v5. 1.9 P/60 last year, 112th in the league. He's easy to replace on the PP. 4.88 P/60, 110th in the league. It's not like he's some gritty physical force out there either, he's always been just an okay 2 way guy who made his money from his offensive production. Well, the offensive production wasn't in the top 100 among players in the league last year on a per minute basis. Those minutes can be allocated to other players who can provide similar for much cheaper.

It could also have been a bad year based on a one-time crazy fluke 10 game pointless skid or whatever it was.

There's no reason to think he won't bounce back with 30+ and 82 points next year, which would be the same production he was always good for.

Ah crap. I hate when I have to do this… but I don’t think it’d be that crazy for Cowan to make the jump.

Not crazy crazy, but my question is where he would land position wise. I think we'd be smart to see what Robbie-Knies-McMann are in the grand scheme of things to go adding a 19 yr old into the winger mix if he's not ready for centre. If he is ready for centre, that poses some different questions then about us needing a hell of a matchup guy so you can super shelter the kid with offensive minded linemates on the 2nd line.

It could also have been a bad year based on a one-time crazy fluke 10 game pointless skid or whatever it was.

There's no reason to think he won't bounce back with 30+ and 82 points next year, which would be the same production he was always good for.

He was 99th in 5v5 production rate in 22-23.

This isn't just a this year problem.

There isn't a better move that can be made to change the culture, cap structure, style of play or leadership of this team than removing the 11 million dollar captain roboto.

Even if Cowan is ready and makes the jump, why on earth does that mean its okay to keep Tavares when

a) at least half that money can be used ona top 4 D
b) you need a top 6 opening for Cowan anyways.

He was 99th in 5v5 production rate in 22-23.

This isn't just a this year problem.

There isn't a better move that can be made to change the culture, cap structure, style of play or leadership of this team than removing the 11 million dollar captain roboto.
Also, father time doesn't go backwards especially for someone who had old man speed at 18

Tavares did get a little unlucky this year but more to the tune of missing out on ~3-5 points or so max based on the on ice s% dip. Think lofs ppg dream for JT is over.

Fill up the first $25M and then see what's left that can be done.

Any other approach is stupid, and he's probably going to quash any deal anyway.

Not crazy crazy, but my question is where he would land position wise. I think we'd be smart to see what Robbie-Knies-McMann are in the grand scheme of things to go adding a 19 yr old into the winger mix if he's not ready for centre. If he is ready for centre, that poses some different questions then about us needing a hell of a matchup guy so you can super shelter the kid with offensive minded linemates on the 2nd line.
Just a note he hasn’t been playing C with London.

Back