• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Tavares did get a little unlucky this year but more to the tune of missing out on ~3-5 points or so max based on the on ice s% dip. Think lofs ppg dream for JT is over.
Age may have gotten the better of him, but he had a crazy unlucky year based on the eye test. Even when he was pointless for a month, he was still getting a ton of shots on goal, and I recall him being robbed or just missing numerous times.

Fill up the first $25M and then see what's left that can be done.

Any other approach is stupid, and he's probably going to quash any deal anyway.
Spend 25 M, then wait to see if you want to free up 11M for all the guys who signed with other teams whle you were waiting.

Fucking crackerjacks.

Age may have gotten the better of him, but he had a crazy unlucky year based on the eye test. Even when he was pointless for a month, he was still getting a ton of shots on goal, and I recall him being robbed or just missing numerous times.
Balances out over a full season. He had lucky stretches too, they all do. But yes in general it seems his "luck" was lower this year

Spend 25 M, then wait to see if you want to free up 11M for all the guys who signed with other teams whle you were waiting.

Fucking crackerjacks.
You use the $25M on those guys, then see what's around on the trade market.

You think we're going to be spending $36M on new UFAs? Okay buddy.

5v5 P/60

18/19: 5th
19/20: 154th
20/21: 63rd
21/22: 112th
22/23: 99th
23/24: 112th

jesus fucking christ, what are we even talking about with that guy making 11 million?
His counting stats have for sure hidden the fact that he has largely become a pp merchant, yeah. And he's not the one driving that pp production.

Season+Playoffs Pace

Marner (18): 62gls/175pts
Robertson (18): 98gls/153pts
Cowan (18): 50gls/146pts

Wellwood (19): 59gls/146pts (18: 49/116)
Brown (19): 53gls/146pts (18: 36/90)
Brooks (20): 47gls/146pts (19: 44/140) (18: 38/78)
Kadri (19): 53gls/145pts (18: 40/116)
Boyes (19): 70gls/142pts (18: 61/125)
Stajan (19): 50gls/137pts (18: 37/100)

Cowan's in very good company. He has a chance next year.

Btw lof you're allowed to change your mind on things. It's ok if you believed Tavares was worth keeping a few years ago. But to say it this year is madness. Hard to take you seriously.

Just a note he hasn’t been playing C with London.

He would have to blow the doors off in camp to stick then, unless for some reason we didn't replace at least one of Domi/Bert or Marner was traded for someone at a different position.

I'm open to it happening, but he's 18 for 5 more days. Still super, super young.

His counting stats have for sure hidden the fact that he has largely become a pp merchant, yeah. And he's not the one driving that pp production.

4th best forward on an elite power play is not a hard guy to replace, and at 5v5 he's been meh for years now as I just provided the numbers for.

If there were some sort of intangiblish style of play benefits in there I'd maybe be a bit more receptive to it. If he played with legit pace and helped crush the transition game, or was a lockdown defensive guy who we could throw at the heavies, or Captain Gritensity who stood up for his teammates, set the physical tone of playoff games, etc...then overlooking the raw production becomes something worth discussing. But he's slow, soft, and his function on the PP is being a net front guy that isn't really a net front, cause havoc and be physical guy. It's as more of a low slot guy who we run a set play for and get a few tips out of.

Btw lof you're allowed to change your mind on things. It's ok if you believed Tavares was worth keeping a few years ago. But to say it this year is madness. Hard to take you seriously.
You show me who exactly we would be able to add, and I'll tell you if it makes sense.

Hard to take anyone else seriously when they're advocating removing his salary at any and all costs without knowing what it will be spent on.

You show me who exactly we would be able to add, and I'll tell you if it makes sense.

Hard to take anyone else seriously when they're advocating removing his salary at any and all costs without knowing what it will be spent on.
Likely, Brad Treliving's version of a top 4 D, plus a contract in a trade that he thinks is useful.

Lol, he's one of the worst cap hits in the league compared to his on ice impact and the counter argument is to show me exactly who we're going to get that would make more sense.

Here's a simple one though that was brought up earlier:

John Tavares (11 million) for Ryan McDonagh (6.75 million) and then whatever you want to spend 4.25 million dollars on. McDonagh is about as good a replacement for what Muzzin/Brodie did for us as you're going to find.

Team PP Production with 4 of Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares/Bertuzzi on the PP

w/o Tavares: 25:04, 19.15gf/60
w/o Bertuzzi: 169:39, 10.26gf/60
w/o Marner: 19:54, 6.03gf/60
w/o Nylander: 0:06, 0.00gf/60
w/o Matthews: 0:09, 0.00gf/60

Back