• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Just wanted to put this out there because I think that in general, people are way too impatient with the development of defencemen.

113 NHL defencemen played 19 minutes a night or more last season.

48 of them were right handed shots
31 of them were 25 or under
8 of them were under 25 and a right handed shot....at the same time
4 of them were right handed, 25 and under and earned those minutes on a playoff team.

Liljegren was one of those 4.

Shit, expand it to 17 mpg and you only add one more. Expand it to 15mpg and you only add 2 more again.

Eh, "much" is a pretty fucking strong word there.

View attachment 20565

View attachment 20564

View attachment 20563

We can point to the 4 Woll starts which do some work in dragging the averages up (especially this season) but the broader truth is that in 21 of our last 25 playoff games we've had a goalie in net who couldn't give us .900

Yeah, you have to be able to score goals but it's kind of instructive that Dallas and Florida both just closed out their series wins with 2-1 scorelines. You have to be able to win those games too, where 2 goals is enough. We've very rarely gotten clutch goaltending performances over the last 6-7 seasons.

21-22: .901 - .897
22-23: .897 - .875, .909 - .943
23-24: .916 - .944

Just wanted to put this out there because I think that in general, people are way too impatient with the development of defencemen.

113 NHL defencemen played 19 minutes a night or more last season.

48 of them were right handed shots
31 of them were 25 or under
8 of them were under 25 and a right handed shot....at the same time
4 of them were right handed, 25 and under and earned those minutes on a playoff team.

Liljegren was one of those 4.

Shit, expand it to 17 mpg and you only add one more. Expand it to 15mpg and you only add 2 more again.

Also shows why you shouldn’t give a shit about needed RHD. They don’t exist.

You sure about that?

A muffin allowed forces the offence to score two to win
That Sammy Lalime goal in game 3 (I think) was a killer. And then his goals allowed in game 7 were fucking terrible. The series came down to just those plays.

Back