• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

This team doesn't know what it wants to be. But to be honest, I don't know how many full time guys you really need, if they're good.

Yeah I don't hate a smaller group. Dubas stacked it when he came in but it's been gradually dwindling since. Maybe too many voices weren't a good thing.

Though based on what some ex employees have said, it seems like they stopped listening to the nerds long ago.

I don’t think you need more than 3…. Much more important is if what they output is actually valued by the decision makers in the org…and even the players

Nick Suzuki talks about how he pays attention to certain analytics to self evaluate his performance

It is a bit symbolic though. In 2018 the Leafs were cutting edge and stacked their nerd department. Since then the rest of the leagues departments have grown substantially and the Leafs went the opposite direction.

Doesn't necessarily mean that they're abandoning nerdies but it does align with some of their decisions since they started to shed a lot of their staff. Those dudes (and women) probably got a lot less busy and felt a lot more useless getting paid to be ignored in recent years.

UNZpW6R.jpeg

Looks like they still have a big staff. Plus Darryl Metcalf who is AGM. Whether they actually listen to them is a different story.

Yeah maybe more of an emphasis on the systems stuff. Because their analyst team was double the size in 2019. Developers are just software and computer nerds. They had 3 in 2019 so not a huge downsize there. Overall they're 4 people short of when Dubas went on a hiring spree if we include the computer nerds. Not a huge deal!

And fuck.. fire the systems people if that's who Keefe actually listened to.

Last edited:
Obviously very difficult to see ‘Keefer’ go, but it’s part of the game at times,” Tavares said. “As players, it’s on us to do a better job. With Craig coming in, he’s going to help us with that. I’m excited to work with him. He’s got a tremendous pedigree.”

Back