• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

What do the nerdies show for the last 5 years if we had a goalie that at any point in time that could have made a fucking save in the biggest moments? A goalie that could have won playoff games on his own?
We have not had even close to that..
the absolute biggest issue that needs to be addressed with this organization is between the pipes, end of story.
Just my opinion.

Goalscoring has been a much bigger issue than goaltending.
With the offensive talent we have, goal scoring shouldn’t be an issue. When regular season scoring doesn’t translate to playoff scoring, the we can stare right at the coaching.
I think Berube is a positive step forward, if for nothing else than the fact he has had playoff success. If he is the ‘in your face’ coach they say he is, that’s a shit ton better than a coach that tells his players to go out and have fun in a game 7 elimination game.

Goaltending is definitely key. Our regular season record, I’m sure, would have been better as well.

I still think Woll is at least part of that solution if we’d have a coach that leans on him

I agree that the goaltending was garbage but that's not the main reason why you lost. You lost because the 4 guys eating up half your cap didn't score enough once they were playing in games that matter. Its been the main reason for 7 years. Sure, you need better netminding, but mostly you need to bust up the Core Four Golf and Country Club because they are ultimately the most responsible for the repetitive post season failures.

It's not a goaltending issue per se, it's a resource allocation issue. Too much money is being spent on those 4 guys that there isn't sufficient money to shore up things like goaltending.

So if you trade Marner, then Matty and Willy will score more? Is that the theory?
The fact that Marner pussies out every playoffs is not a theory. You can score 100 points in the regular season but if you disappear every year in the playoffs you aren't worth the money. With or without Marner the Leafs will score more than enough to make the playoffs. They need to find a player to replace him who, while not as prolific as Marner in the regular season, will show up and produce in the post season. Nothing matters (or should) except the playoffs. Marner is a playoff bust. Get rid of him.

Maybe im on an island here, but i think the reason you consider a Marner trade is like 80% economic, in that you dont want to pay him his extension and leave the holes remaining on the club, and if you can adress a top pairing D or 2LC in a Marner trade you should really consider it

Goalscoring has been a much bigger issue than goaltending.

Eh, "much" is a pretty fucking strong word there.

1716132909792.png

1716132872751.png

1716132849167.png

We can point to the 4 Woll starts which do some work in dragging the averages up (especially this season) but the broader truth is that in 21 of our last 25 playoff games we've had a goalie in net who couldn't give us .900

Yeah, you have to be able to score goals but it's kind of instructive that Dallas and Florida both just closed out their series wins with 2-1 scorelines. You have to be able to win those games too, where 2 goals is enough. We've very rarely gotten clutch goaltending performances over the last 6-7 seasons.

If you want marner then you suffer for 1 year cap wise (unless JT can be moved) but you get him on your terms, not the Paul dreger show again.

They have plenty of cap space

kinda, sorta, depending on what you think the team needs and whether you can find a new home for Tavares.

If Tavares cock blocks with his NMC, we need a rebuild on the blueline, a 3C that can handle the heavies (or even better a 2C and move Tavares to the wing or 3C), we need at least 1 top 6 winger, and a 4th line rebuild.

Capfriendly has us like this at the moment

Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Kampf-Jarnkrok
XXXXXX-XXXXXX-Reaves

Rielly-McCabe
Benoit-Timmins
Webber-XXXXXX

Woll
XXXXXX

In at just below 69.2 million, so roughly 18 million in cap. Yes, a bunch of names should be moved there and lots of cap could/should potentially be opened up but if you go and spend say 12 million on free agent defenders, and sign your RFA's (Lilly, Robbie, Dewar), that leaves like 3 million for a goalie unless some major moves are made.

Maybe im on an island here, but i think the reason you consider a Marner trade is like 80% economic, in that you dont want to pay him his extension and leave the holes remaining on the club, and if you can adress a top pairing D or 2LC in a Marner trade you should really consider it
11 million goes so fast and that UFA crap is going to get so overpaid.

Back