• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I hope Marner fucks them hard by holding firm on his NMC and forcing them to resign him.

There is also a chance they’re using all this as a pretense to keep an extension negotiation in check. Like here’s $11m, take it or leave it.

Is he actually better than Bertuzzi?
I think so. He’s fast, he’s stronger, he’s younger. I think he complements the centers much better. I never warmed up to Bertuzzi. I think he’s a big time buyer beware guy, and if we were to resign him for term at that price, we’d regret it in a big way. I’m actually so happy we only gave him one year.

It’s very possible Marner wants gone as much as the org and a lot of fans want him gone. He’s never looked comfortable off the ice here and by all accounts he’s a soft little snowflake that doesn’t care for criticism
I won’t believe it till I see it. I think even if he leaves, he’ll have the same story Hyman tells now, that he wanted to stay and the Leafs told him to fuck off.

It’s not like he doesn’t produce in the playoffs. He has good overall stats. This was a shitty year under a totally spent coach, and coming off an injury that he probably wasn’t fully recovered from.

It’d be so painful to see them force him out.

It’s kind of wild that they gave Marner a full NMC as well as an unprecedented RFA deal for a winger.

Rantanen, for example, who is better, got $1.7M less per year and only a 9-team no trade list in his last season.

I won’t believe it till I see it. I think even if he leaves, he’ll have the same story Hyman tells now, that he wanted to stay and the Leafs told him to fuck off.

It’s not like he doesn’t produce in the playoffs. He has good overall stats. This was a shitty year under a totally spent coach, and coming off an injury that he probably wasn’t fully recovered from.

It’d be so painful to see them force him out.
It could be this and he’s a bitch

I think so. He’s fast, he’s stronger, he’s younger. I think he complements the centers much better. I never warmed up to Bertuzzi. I think he’s a big time buyer beware guy, and if we were to resign him for term at that price, we’d regret it in a big way. I’m actually so happy we only gave him one year.

Eh, Debrusk disappears a lot, is moody, kind of famously bumped heads with his coaches and is fast but isn't particularly skilled. There's a reason he keeps playing himself back into the middle of their forward group despite the organization kind of really wanting to turn into more than that.

If anything he's a guy likely to get a contract well outside his impact and Bert likely to slip through the cracks again.

Eh, Debrusk disappears a lot, is moody, kind of famously bumped heads with his coaches and is fast but isn't particularly skilled. There's a reason he keeps playing himself back into the middle of their forward group despite the organization kind of really wanting to turn into more than that.

If anything he's a guy likely to get a contract well outside his impact and Bert likely to slip through the cracks again.
I don’t think Bert slipped through. He wanted more than anyone was willing to pay, and they all refused for good reason.

I think Debrusk is a guy who can pop 30 goals for us. I’ve always liked him.

I don’t think Bert slipped through. He wanted more than anyone was willing to pay, and they all refused for good reason.

That's the definition of slipping through the cracks in free agency though....
I think Debrusk is a guy who can pop 30 goals for us.

Everyone thought the same about Bert going into this season. Again, there's a reason he never put it all together in Boston. There's not a whole ton of skill there.

Debrusk is really likely to get term and the classic UFA overpay from someone and only plays the left side. Hard pass.

They are pretty similar. Both would be solid adds at the right price. Bert is more annoying though.

Wouldbt be a shocker if Tree went after both. I would be kinda shocked if Bert made it to July 1 though.

Debrusk feels like a guy that gets paid for playoff Bruin stink but is just a rando third liner

He's streaky AF, so when he's going good you think he's mid breakout into something more and when he's not he's a moody 3rd liner upset that he's not getting 1st unit PP time. His problems were all supposed to be his problems with Cassidy, has his best season under Montgomery and then one of his worst seasons in his 2nd year under Montgomery. If you're looking for a guy to hold a consistent role in your lineup as secondary generator of offence, he's a bad bet. If you don't mind paying 5.5-6 million for 6 years to a guy who you're going to be moving up and down your left side based on how he's playing this week, then give'r.

They are pretty similar. Both would be solid adds at the right price. Bert is more annoying though.

Wouldbt be a shocker if Tree went after both. I would be kinda shocked if Bert made it to July 1 though.

The 2 reasons I prefer Bert (because yeah, similar guys overall) is that Bert likely gets less to significantly less term and that Bert can play both wings while DeBrusk only plays the left. We already have Knies, Robertson, and if he's not a NHL centre yet, Cowan on the left side. DeBrusk isn't the guy worth holding a top LW spot for.

He's streaky AF, so when he's going good you think he's mid breakout into something more and when he's not he's a moody 3rd liner upset that he's not getting 1st unit PP time. His problems were all supposed to be his problems with Cassidy, has his best season under Montgomery and then one of his worst seasons in his 2nd year under Montgomery. If you're looking for a guy to hold a consistent role in your lineup as secondary generator of offence, he's a bad bet. If you don't mind paying 5.5-6 million for 6 years to a guy who you're going to be moving up and down your left side based on how he's playing this week, then give'r.
Pass

Has massive deal from a Western Canadian team all over it

Back