• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

That's the definition of slipping through the cracks in free agency though....

Everyone thought the same about Bert going into this season. Again, there's a reason he never put it all together in Boston. There's not a whole ton of skill there.

Debrusk is really likely to get term and the classic UFA overpay from someone and only plays the left side. Hard pass.
There was enough skill prior to this season to pot 25 goals in 77 games and then follow up with 27 goals in only 64 games. There's definitely skill there. And he plays a true crash and bang style, which Bertuzzi really only pretends to play but really isn't that guy. Bertuzzi can have some success 20-25 goals being a netfront presence, but kinda sucks at everything else. And I don't think he's going to improve on what we saw this year. I'd be super disappointed if we rewarded him with some big dumb deal now.

Slipping through would be getting him for like $3.5M for 3 years or something, not $5.5M for one year. And now he's going to look for the same or more so it's a hard pass for me.

They are pretty similar. Both would be solid adds at the right price. Bert is more annoying though.

Wouldbt be a shocker if Tree went after both. I would be kinda shocked if Bert made it to July 1 though.
I'd be shocked if he didn't. He's going 3 or 4 x $6M shopping in July.

Is that the plan?

USATSI_20800743_168383996_lowres.jpg

Debrusk 3yr

Season: 16:11, 26gl/49pt pace
Playoff: 17:12, 33gl/64pt pace

Bertuzzi 3yr

Season: 17:28, 24gl/56pt pace
Playoff: 18:15, 35gl/82pt pace

Debrusk can skate tho.
He can skate and he's been putting up solid postseason numbers the last three seasons.

Never a passenger, always in the play. A big add if we can land him.

It's also the tier of player that every contender should hope to fulfill from within on cheap deals. The Cowan's and Robertson's and Knies'. Paying full market value for one is probably fine, but any more is rough on the cap. These aren't difference makers.

This is a guy that sells a personal cardboard with Tabasco and mozzarella for $30.

The 2 reasons I prefer Bert (because yeah, similar guys overall) is that Bert likely gets less to significantly less term and that Bert can play both wings while DeBrusk only plays the left. We already have Knies, Robertson, and if he's not a NHL centre yet, Cowan on the left side. DeBrusk isn't the guy worth holding a top LW spot for.
My guess is that Bert gets more money than Debrusk.

He shouldn't, and it would be stupid, but it feels like things will stupidly play out that way, and ironically maybe with them reupping with their current teams.

There was enough skill prior to this season to pot 25 goals in 77 games and then follow up with 27 goals in only 64 games. There's definitely skill there. And he plays a true crash and bang style, which Bertuzzi really only pretends to play but really isn't that guy. Bertuzzi can have some success 20-25 goals being a netfront presence, but kinda sucks at everything else. And I don't think he's going to improve on what we saw this year. I'd be super disappointed if we rewarded him with some big dumb deal now.

Slipping through would be getting him for like $3.5M for 3 years or something, not $5.5M for one year. And now he's going to look for the same or more so it's a hard pass for me.

Lol just admit that you've only seen him play against us. Debrusk plays a true bang and crash style....lol.

He plays a speed game with a good active stick and isn't afraid to engage but he's hardly a power forward out there.

Back