• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

A Jonas Siegel (the vastly superior Jonas) article from today had this in it:

“ He finished with three points in seven games against the Bruins. He wasn’t the offensive difference-maker the Leafs needed him to be, especially early in the series when Nylander was absent.

He might be just as ready for a change as the Leafs are. He was prepared for the possibility last summer.

If that's true, yeah I don't think he would fuck about much with a trade as long as there was an extension waiting for him somewhere he's okay with playing.

A Jonas Siegel (the vastly superior Jonas) article from today had this in it:

If that's true, yeah I don't think he would fuck about much with a trade as long as there was an extension waiting for him somewhere he's okay with playing.
The only place i ever suggested would be an issue was Buffalo

Marner is the biggest disappointment to me. When the chips were down, Nylander and Matthews were out, and the goalie was struggling, he just completely disappeared. Again.

If they keep him around next year, I hope there’s no extension talk until next offseason.

I was never a JT guy from the beginning, this is well known but he and Mitch just make me fucking sad at this point. Two kids from Toronto come up playing MTHL/GTHL, star for localish OHL teams and one way or another end up getting home to try to end this fucking drought and they were both mostly somewhere between ineffective to brutal in the playoffs over their years here while soaking up 25% of our capspace. The amount of hours they spent dreaming of this, game 7 OT goal in the driveway, etc, etc as kids only for this to be how it's gone feels like a punch in the face to my inner child who did the same daydreaming growing up that they did.

It almost makes me not want Connor to come home.

Almost.

Please come home Connor, Auston would score 100 goals on a PP with you...fucking seriously, 100.

This summer will be a disaster. I think they’re going to feel forced into a Marner trade and dump him for 50 cents on the dollar. And we’re going to have to ride out JT cause nobody’s gonna take that on without sending something awful back.
This scenario definitely had disaster potential. And is upsettingly plausible. Just really hope its not the treefucker in charge.

Why is dumping Marner a disaster?

As is he does not contribute when it counts. Without getting anything in return we get 10m cap space to get a free agent.

He should not be back next year under any circumstances. He'll have success elsewhere but he will kill another Matthews year next year if he is here.

We need to look at the opportunities the stars gave Johnston and start applying those to Robbie and Cowan next year.
And they have a ton of depth and yet still found a way to do it. It's still amazing Mcmann was given 0 chances until a flu went through the dressing room and the coach was forced.
This has been such a major issue with this organization for years.

Suspect he quietly asks for a trade over the summer.
I don't want him gone, but I have a feeling as well he might be open to a trade this summer. Think how much easier his life would be. This 1-8 playoff series record is crippling pressure for these guys and Marner made his own situation worse with the contract negotiation.

Not sure who the answer is for the new HC position but going back to the recycling bin will produce more of the same.

Its rare to find a coach that will trust rookies over vets . They are all cut from the same cloth

I really hate that Berube is named as the most popular choice all because of that 2019 cup. I think that's dumb.
I'd rather have Dean Evason, who's had almost no playoff success.

In fairness to Marner, I read that he led the first round in slot passes. The big problem is half of those are setting up Edmundson, Boosh, or Domi. The other big problem is the PP is shit.

But he does lead the big 4 in career playoff scoring.

Back