• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

If we don't move out any caphits, we basically have room to add 3 good players (i.e. AAV ~$5.5m each).

The priorities would be imo 2 dmen. Then I guess they're prioritizing a goalie. So two good dmen and a goalie worth on average $5.5m each. Which should get us pretty good stuff tbh.

But we wouldn't be able to bring back the likes of Bertuzzi and Domi if we did that.

So the way I see it is that moving out contracts like Tavares and Kampf would be to make room to sign the likes of Bert and Domi or similar.

That being said, we actually do still have decent forward depth without signing those two, with Knies and McCann finishing out the top 6, a 3rd line of Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok and a 4th line of Dewar-Kampf-Reaves and a 5th line of Cowan-Minten-Grebenkin or whatever useful cheapo free agents we might be able to add.

Though if we were able to move out all of Tavares, Kampf, Krok then we'd have enough capspace to not only sign Bert and Domi but also another similar priced forward.

I don't like this source but hey they're contract projections and maybe they're decent i dunno:

guys over $3m aav:

Reinhart $11.3
Guentzel $9.3
Lindholm $6.8
Marchessault $6.3
Kane $6.3
Stamkos $6.1
Toffoli $6.0
Debrusk $5.8
Stephenson $5.6
Monahan $5.3
Bertuzzi $5.3
Teravainen $5.2
Drouin $5.0
Duchene $4.8
Arvidsson $4.8
Mantha $4.7
Henrique $4.3
Duclair $4.3
Tarasenko $4.2
Sprong $4.0
Wennberg $3.9
Foegele $3.9
Zucker $3.7
Domi $3.5
Pavelski $3.5
Joshua $3.3
Amadio $3.1
Perron $3.0
Roslovic $3.0

Montour $7.7
Skjei $7.5
Pesce $6.3
Roy $5.8
Zadorov $5.3
Demelo $5.3
Gostisbehere $5.0
Walker $4.7
Tanev $4.7
OEL $4.1
Carrier $4.0
Gustafsson $3.9
Chatfield $3.7
Brodie $3.7
Grzelcyk $3.2
Myers $3.1
Dumba $3.0

Skjej and Roy would be a lovely haul I think.

Skjej-Roy
Rielly-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

But if they're spending 6+ on a goalie then it's probably not gonna happen unless JT or Mitch go.

I think you could move out Jarnkrok(2.1) and Kampf(2.4) due to the bottom 6 depth in Holmberg, McMann, and Knies along with the possible addition of a Cowan or Minten at camp. that should pay for as much as I'd be willing to spend on either of Domi or Bertuzzi (sub 4 if possible)...it's probably Domi tbh as he has the only legit plus skill between the two of them. and Bertuzzi moves on anyway I think.

harder to imagine moving Tavares and getting free of all 11 million. fortunately it's only 1 year so we won't have to take back a larger multi year deal like we would trading Morgan Rielly. a capable C with 1 year left would be perfect

on defence any of the top 4 names of that list would be a large upgrade, but honestly with our management Zadorov will probably be made the priority.

Pesce just seems like Brodie but with a higher skew towards D and no offense. I remember reading an article about 2 years ago about how celebrated a goal was for him that bounced off someone because it had been so long since hed scored.

I'd be scared for big $$ with him. Could be wrong.

Back