• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Again, Leafs are better off ridding themselves of JT before trading Mitch

By a lot. If Pizza Boy just takes the easiest road here, which is keeping basically everyone other than Tavares, and buying/overpaying defencemen on the free market, we look like this:

1716842646045.png

1716842665709.png

With 1.955 million in cap space to sign Talbot with. That's if no other dumps are made, no other cheaper free agents replace Bert/Domi and if we signed the two most expensive defenders on the market instead of like Skjei + Roy or Montour + Carrier or some shit.

Tavares 100% has to go.

If there is a Mitch hockey deal out there, I'm good with it. Some interesting names already out in the media wilderness so far. Tkachuk + stuff is interesting, Elias for Mitch straight is interesting. But it can't be a dump.

Would also love whoever is to be responsible for the PP to figure out what ingredient is missing - and prioritize some spending there.

Through COVID we survived with a stacked PP because there just wasn't enough talent to put together a decent 2nd unit. Last season we added some decent offence to the line-up that helped prop up a 2nd unit, and the 1st unit fell apart.

By a lot. If Pizza Boy just takes the easiest road here, which is keeping basically everyone other than Tavares, and buying/overpaying defencemen on the free market, we look like this:

View attachment 20629

View attachment 20630

With 1.955 million in cap space to sign Talbot with. That's if no other dumps are made, no other cheaper free agents replace Bert/Domi and if we signed the two most expensive defenders on the market instead of like Skjei + Roy or Montour + Carrier or some shit.

Tavares 100% has to go.

If there is a Mitch hockey deal out there, I'm good with it. Some interesting names already out in the media wilderness so far. Tkachuk + stuff is interesting, Elias for Mitch straight is interesting. But it can't be a dump.
I think Skjei and Montour both it 8M and Domi maybe 4.5, but everything else seems right except Jarnkrok is still here, you masochist.

View attachment 20629

View attachment 20630

Tavares 100% has to go.

replace one of those two new D with a more heavy-use guy, who'll also be cheaper.

I would use some of that D-money and get a better 2C than Domi IMO.

Why though? The 2C's in the final 4 are Lundell-Trochek-Duchene-Draisaitl

At 5v5 Domi is definitely in the mix there. For 3.5 million (his projected cap hit according to AFP analytics), I'd take that and see what shakes loose at the deadline if you need an upgrade. As long as you have a solid matchup 3C, I think you're fine with Domi at 2C where he's easy to shelter.

replace one of those two new D with a more heavy-use guy, who'll also be cheaper.

Yeah, agreed. I wasn't showing a preferred road map, just how we could do the easy thing and splash a pile of money on the blueline without losing anything up front. Roy & Carrier are definitely. One of Matt Roy at a projected 5.8 or Carrier at 3.9 are kind of musts imo.

I think Skjei and Montour both it 8M and Domi maybe 4.5, but everything else seems right except Jarnkrok is still here, you masochist.

I'm just going to default to using AFP's projections now that I have them. Montour is 7.7, Skjei just under 7.5 and Domi 3.5

They could be wrong of course because the market is the market, but it's better than theory crafting out of whole cloth.

I'm just going to default to using AFP's projections now that I have them. Montour is 7.7, Skjei just under 7.5 and Domi 3.5

They could be wrong of course because the market is the market, but it's better than theory crafting out of whole cloth.
Yeah thats fair, i just think NHL GM's can't help themselves in general, plus the cap going up, and that sort of Dman is going to give these guys erections.

Yeah thats fair, i just think NHL GM's can't help themselves in general, plus the cap going up, and that sort of Dman is going to give these guys erections.

The cap is going up, but a lot of cap increases get eaten on shit like RFA raises. For example, take a team that on paper has a fuckbucket of cap space, the Red Wings. Currently projected at 58 million in salary next year, 29 million in cap space. Once they've paid Mo Seider his long term bag (AFP = 8.1) you're down to 21 million. Bring back Patrick Kane...seems like a no brainer after the way he played, AFP has that at 6.25 million x 2. Long term deal for Raymond Lucas? 7.7 x 7.

They went from 29 million in cap to 7 million in cap with 5 more forwards and a defender to sign just to fill out the roster.

The cap is going up, but a lot of cap increases get eaten on shit like RFA raises. For example, take a team that on paper has a fuckbucket of cap space, the Red Wings. Currently projected at 58 million in salary next year, 29 million in cap space. Once they've paid Mo Seider his long term bag (AFP = 8.1) you're down to 21 million. Bring back Patrick Kane...seems like a no brainer after the way he played, AFP has that at 6.25 million x 2. Long term deal for Raymond Lucas? 7.7 x 7.

They went from 29 million in cap to 7 million in cap with 5 more forwards and a defender to sign just to fill out the roster.
Interesting

the dumb smart play is to try to use Cowan to get a youngish #1 who hasn’t cashed in yet. Dunno if that exists right now.

Not advocating to trade the kid but that might be the only path to a legit top guy.

Why though? The 2C's in the final 4 are Lundell-Trochek-Duchene-Draisaitl

At 5v5 Domi is definitely in the mix there. For 3.5 million (his projected cap hit according to AFP analytics), I'd take that and see what shakes loose at the deadline if you need an upgrade. As long as you have a solid matchup 3C, I think you're fine with Domi at 2C where he's easy to shelter.
We should actually try Willy as our 2LC. Keep Domi with Cock

Back