• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Ugh...

As a general rule, I'm pretty concerned about extrapolating out past goalie performance across higher workloads. 3-4 yrs of .920 in 15-20 games a year doesn't mean .915+ in 40-50 games or even .910-.915

If a guy is 30+ and doesn't play more than ~20 games a year, it's usually because he can't be trusted to. It's one thing if Brossoit had been a legit 1B that gets to go on little mini runs of his own, but he's been as true a backup as there is in the league. Facing bad teams, the lesser of evils on B2B's, etc. Would much prefer Stolarz if we were going with the "maybe this elite backup can play 40 games" bet.

The one good thing about a Brossoit target is that they are still listening to the nerds.

The one bad part is their goaltending will be shit again.

Honestly I’d keep three goalies on the roster next year and just roll with the hot hand. It’s unconventional but it’s doable and frankly it saved them last year.

If we insist on doing something like Woll-Brossoit, yeah, I agree. There's a few other interesting UFA goalies around that we could bring in to that.

Murray - Just so we can play the "if he's healthy for the playoffs....." game again
Driedger - Sucked for Seattle but was real gud in the AHL again last year, worth a punt
Kahkonen - Looked like a real prospect for a while in Minnesota. Got dummied behind one of the worst defensive teams in the world over the last few years. Anton Forsberg-ish type track record, sometimes you get a few good years out of guys like that
Comrie - Sucked in Buffalo, but goalies are weird. Who knows.
Nedeljkovic - Probably isn't good, but probably is only slightly below average. Had a higher GSAA/60 than Vasilevsky & Georgiev this year. If you squint and ignore his brutal 59 games as Detroit's starter, he might be average.
James Reimer - lol
Stolarz - If you tell him it's a knife fight for a starter's job he probably comes.

Last 3 Years (NHL Rank)
GP: 59 (58th)
Sv%: .914 (9th)
5v5 sv%: .929 (3rd)
PK Sv%: .845 (60th)
GSAx: 22.29 (18th)

by GSAx/gm he ranks amongst the elite.

as does Woll.

not that it's fair to expect them to maintain that over a starting load of course.

Trying to catch lightning in a bottle again

Assholes the lot of them but give me one with a track record of consistency

Trying to catch lightning in a bottle again

Assholes the lot of them but give me one with a track record of consistency

I think it's "okay" to take the risk of a guy maintaining something resembling his smaller sample performance one tier up. So a backup used to playing ~20 games might give you 30 similar games. A 1B used to playing 30-35 might be a 1A in disguise, a 1A might be a true starter.

But "Woll is going to play 50 games next year and Brossoit can play 30-35" would be loony on both ends of the equation. We might miss the fucking playoffs.

i think the Markstrom experience may have learned Brad.

he made a big investment in markstrom.

and then he had only 1 good year in calgary to get them to the playoffs, and then he pretty much sucked in those playoffs.

Back