• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Meh. Columbus was a fucky 5 game covid series in August after months off. People make way too much a meal of that. The Montreal series is embarrassing though, no doubt and we lost to a vastly inferior team. But it was an inferior team playing the best hockey they were capable of with a former elite goalie who decided to ignore that he was old and busted for 6 weeks. After going 7 with us, Montreal swept the contender Jets and then beat a team that wins the cup 24 months later.

The Montreal series definitely showed that their was something missing with this group, but the problem wasn't toughness or any such bullshit. It was some veteran skill that didn't panic when shit started to go bad to teach the kids how to roll with the punches that come naturally in a playoff series.
Hey now. Wasn't Campbell a . 930 save percentage?

Fwiw, in regards to the "we're making the goalies look good" argument:

16-17 Holtby:
vs Leafs: .925
vs Penguings: .887

17-18 Rask:
vs Leafs: .899
vs Lightning: .907

18-19 Rask:
vs Leafs: .928
vs CBJ: .948
vs Canes: .956
vs Blue: .912

19-20 Korpaslikins:
vs Leafs: .952
vs Lightning: .932

20-21 Price:
vs Leafs: .932
vs Jets: .942
vs Vegas: .933
vs Tampa: .888

21-22 Vasy:
vs Leafs: .897
vs Panthers: .981
vs Rangers: .919
vs Avs: .905

22-23 Bob:
vs Bruins: .891
vs Leafs: .943
vs Canes: .966
vs Vegas: .844

23-24 Swayman:
vs Leafs: .950
vs Panthers: .917

Other than Holtby in yr1, I don't see a lot of evidence for goalies playing great against us and then getting dummied by the next team they play. We just keep running into above average goalies or even the goalies who had bad seasons (Price, Bob) were elite at some point in their careers and able to find their form in the playoffs.

Sign me up for that.

schmaltz broke some trade deadline deals iirc. As an ex player it’s interesting he’s posting actual numbers.

And I figured Bertuzzi would be the one they likely let walk, but if they're bringing him back, then I fully expect Tredork to be bringing Domi back too.

Nothing like icing the exact same team to inspire me with confidence that they're going all the way next year.

Shouldn’t zeke be cheering for the Panthers for the sake of his whole six degrees of Leaf Cup win separation shtick?

Back