• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

It’s not for spite. They want to stay on a top team and win next year. This isn’t hard to get.

If winning was the priority, they both would have taken less.

Remember when you thought Johnny was coming for 9-9.5?

The priority is to get money and force the organization for this to be the place they get it.

Rielly-Pesce
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Tanev

michaelscott-jpj.gif

Fwiw, here's Mitch's comparable (By PPG prior to signing) wingers and their cap% on their deals

Panarin: 14.29 (7 yrs, UFA)
Willy: 13.77 (8yr)
Pasta: 13.64 (8yr)
13.38 <------- Marner's existing deal (6)
Huberdeau: 12.73
Kucherov: 11.95 (8)
Tkachuk: 11.52 (8)

Rantanen: 11.35 (6)
Kaprizov: 11.04 (5)
Forsberg: 10.3 (8)

So the first thing I notice is that we clearly fucked up with Willy. He's around 12% if we had just given him the 10M he allegedly wanted in the summer. Because neither he, nor Mitch have done anything to deserve more than Pastrnak.

With that said, Mitch should be in that Pasta/Willy category and not above it.

Also notice that most of the best value deals were all signed in states with no state tax (in bold).

I think Mucho would waive. Find a team that'd be willing to pay up that isn't Siberia and ask him.

Seattle for a package involving the 8th? They are projected to take Buium in that range and his numbers in Denver this year were ridiculous for a d-man

Its a very D heavy top 10. But those guys are a few years away which makes it tough. It would be nice to get a Makar/Bouchard to join the core though.

Fwiw, here's Mitch's comparable (By PPG prior to signing) wingers and their cap% on their deals

Panarin: 14.29 (7 yrs, UFA)
Willy: 13.77 (8yr)
Pasta: 13.64 (8yr)
13.38 <------- Marner's existing deal (6)
Huberdeau: 12.73
Kucherov: 11.95 (8)
Tkachuk: 11.52 (8)

Rantanen: 11.35 (6)
Kaprizov: 11.04 (5)
Forsberg: 10.3 (8)

So the first thing I notice is that we clearly fucked up with Willy. He's around 12% if we had just given him the 10M he allegedly wanted in the summer. Because neither he, nor Mitch have done anything to deserve more than Pastrnak.

With that said, Mitch should be in that Pasta/Willy category and not above it.

Also notice that most of the best value deals were all signed in states with no state tax (in bold).
The Willy botch job was worse than any negotiation Kyle has ever had. Tre couldn't have possibly played it worse every step of the way.

And that's gonna have a huge impact on the Marner negotiations. The trickle down effect is real. He fucked up.

If winning was the priority, they both would have taken less.

Remember when you thought Johnny was coming for 9-9.5?

The priority is to get money and force the organization for this to be the place they get it.
No, if that was true, Johnny would've taken the $14M from SJ. Or held up Toronto for more than $11M because of it. It was the only reason he got up that high in the first place, because the market allowed him to demand more.

And he took less to be a Leaf.

Bad example, bud.

Toronto didn't have more than 11 million for him or you can be sure your boy would have milked them for it.

His goal was to come home, but for every penny he could get.

Which is cool, but it definitely shits on this whole pajama wearing/best day of my life narrative bullshit.

Toronto didn't have more than 11 million for him or you can be sure your boy would have milked them for it.

Which is cool, but it definitely shits on this whole pajama wearing/best day of my life narrative bullshit.
That's nonsense. You can always find $1M more. If he'd demanded $12M, they'd have given him $12M.

Back off. The guy owes the CRA over a million dollars in interest charges alone….. He’s all in on the Leafs!!

Back