• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I know there's a meme on this board that Elliotte Friedman sits in on organizational meetings, but it's far more likely that teams use him to leak info they want out there. Of course he has connections, but personally I think it's silly to assume that we know anything at all right now. Unless there's someone secretly leaking information for no reason, the Leafs could easily have decided to keep Marner discussions close to the vest for now.

People assumed the Leafs only talked to 2 coaches because 2 names were mentioned on Twitter, but didn't Tree say they talked a bunch of guys at the Berube PC (can't remember the exact #)
I don't think they've done absolutely anything in the last year we didn't know all about in advance but if there's a surprise out of the blue Marner deal I'll definitely issue a mea culpa.

As surely as when new leaves start sprouting from bare, dormant trees and the days start getting longer, you know spring has sprung when LOF is trying to convince us all that a good Toronto boy is going to sign a heavily discounted deal with us out of pure, childlike love of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Why are people still talking about trades? He won’t let them trade him. He wants to outlast management and this shitty playoff streak, and we should actually love him for that.

The only options here are sign him now or let him play the season and walk. And the latter option is pure idiocy.

1717518467909.gif

GPMGVYHXwAAWMSo

FWIW, LeBrun's latest for the Athletic.

wasn't he earning like $3.5 m on his previous deal? why would he take a big pay cut before testing the open market?

I didn’t say he would take a pay cut — just said I’d be shocked if Leafs want him at that price… he might have to settle regardless where he ends up… he’s past his “prime” and has a a nagging back issue

As surely as when new leaves start sprouting from bare, dormant trees and the days start getting longer, you know spring has sprung when LOF is trying to convince us all that a good Toronto boy is going to sign a heavily discounted deal with us out of pure, childlike love of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

View attachment 20681
When did I say anything about heavily discounted?

The point is he's not a guy you rush to sign before free agency begins. If he agrees to anything it's gonna be for real money. And you don't pay him real money. But Tre disagrees obviously.

Tbh I'm not sure he deserves anything more than a PTO.

The point is he's not a guy you rush to sign before free agency begins. If he agrees to anything it's gonna be for real money. And you don't pay him real money. But Tre disagrees obviously.

yup. not a top-4 D. and we have Benny.

Honestly, i think he just has the Ross Atkins disease where he is simply an absolute trash public speaker

Honestly, I think he's a snot faced little prick who thinks he's a big fucking deal and is better than anyone else.

He's gotta go IMO but I'm with the many who don't want to see him go for nothing.

If they pay Eddie, I’m fully on board your “hopeless” scenario and will be shorting all rips until further notice

When did I say anything about heavily discounted?

Here ya go:

He’s not asking for that, and if he is, he’ll come down. I actually don’t believe he’d ever willingly leave if there’s a reasonable number on the table. If we’re sitting here next season at this time and he’s unsigned, with $11.5m on the table, he’ll eventually take it.

…keeping in mind that when I say “heavily discounted”, I don’t mean that $11.5M would be a bargain. I think even that would be far more than Mitch is worth.

What I mean is that it’s a heavy discount on what Mitch will actually realistically take. Which would be in the neighbourhood of $13M per season.

Back