• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

It's funny and a bit telling imo that Tavares and Marner are fantastic examples of bad narratives that have been pervasive in Toronto for decades. There's always been the myth about some Toronto kid coming to the Leafs to lead them to glory. Tavares and Marner have hopefully ended it though. If I had to pick between the two Toronto kids vs the Half Mexican & the Swede to lead us anywhere, it's an easy decision.

I don't care where our players are from, but two Toronto kids stroking us for more than they're worth doesn't do a lot to make me want to associate my childhood driveway day dreams with their lived experiences.

I think the “coming home” narrative is wired in our culture like some Joseph Campbell mythology level shit. It’ll take more than JT and MM to kill it

Plus you’ll be fully back on board during the Temptation of Connor McDavid extension saga

Plus you’ll be fully back on board during the Temptation of Connor McDavid extension saga

McDavid is different though. A generational player going home is the archetype all the rest of that shit is really based on. It's the only one that really matters.

Okay but also... a good GM should be able to find a way to get more than nothing for a 100 pt player.

Should, but NMC's are NMC's. If Mitch has decided that he's not waiving, there's not a lot a GM can do regardless if he's a genius or a mouthbreather.

There would be some irony in Mitch and Tavares both refusing to waive just to spite the organization and leaving for nothing.

If Tre really has his hands tied with all the NMC ( lets assume all of Mitch, Captain and Rielly wont move) It's going to be very hard to blame Tre for this, but i would personally be terrified of what he does to improve the team and i'd be fucking certain Lilijeren and Robertson are traded for Boone Jenners ( not actual Boone Jenner, but like the salt/fat free versions)

Why are people still talking about trades? He won’t let them trade him. He wants to outlast management and this shitty playoff streak, and we should actually love him for that.

The only options here are sign him now or let him play the season and walk. And the latter option is pure idiocy.
agreed, let's move on to discussing potential destinations for our $11 millie albatross

McDavid is different though. A generational player going home is the archetype all the rest of that shit is really based on. It's the only one that really matters.

It’s not different, just better casting. McDavid is the ultimate A list actor.

To be fair, Mitch is more of a “local boy makes good” story. Not as powerful. You have to banish him first before he can come back home. maybe he can be Timothée Chalamet

If Treliving explores avenues for a return and we hear Mitch refused to waive, I'll totally grant you this.

Until then, you're an NHL GM buddy, get on the fucking horn.
So i struggle with this a little bit.

If Tre asks anyone to waive and they say no, optically, it makes more sense for him to leak that they never asked. What does he/anyone gain by being like, hey, i asked this bitch to go away, he wouldn't do it?

I mean, he actually played pretty well in the playoffs ( granted in a garbage style). It stands to reason that if Tre liked him at the deadline, he'd not like him any less in the summer, and to be at least somewhat fair, if your other 5 D can skate, this guy provides at least some value. I dont think he Lybushkin bad.

I wouldnt pay him much though
we're gonna end up using the money we shoulda used on a 2nd pair D to extend fucking Eddy. then we won't be able to afford Mathieu Roy or something like that.

If you left out the parts where you pretend to know what the player is thinking, you would come off much better.

It looks like you were right about Marner, but it has absolutely nothing to do with outlasting management, being a Toornto kid, or worrying about his playoff numbers.
are you forgetting the Zadina experience?

Back