• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

In the same LeBrun article on Mitchy:

Speaking of the Leafs, there’s been no conversation between them and John Tavares’ camp, led by agent Pat Brisson. But either way, should the Leafs ever ask, Tavares — a 2025 UFA with a full no-move clause — doesn’t want to waive to go anywhere.

Next season is a write-off. Best case is maybe that Tre fucks up so badly this summer that he gets his ass fired in the summer of 2025. I'm not gonna cheer against them. That's impossible. But a disastrous year is the best case scenario here.

Next season is a write-off. Best case is maybe that Tre fucks up so badly this summer that he gets his ass fired in the summer of 2025. I'm not gonna cheer against them. That's impossible. But a disastrous year is the best case scenario here.

This is the off season dip I’ve been waiting to buy!

You’re the one falling for something thus far, not me.

I'm "falling for" the idea that Mitch and his team are going to do exactly what they did last time. Point at Auston's AAV and then dig in until they get it from a weak front office.

Mitch isn't going to use this year's cap % as his marker, he's going to use next year's projected as his market. He got 13.4% out of us last time and cap projections for the first year of Mitch's new deal are 92 million.

13.4% of 92 million is 12.3 million. That's what Mitch pushed for and got when he was selling RFA years ffs. Auston got a raise from 14.64% to 15.87% from his 1st to 2nd contract, you better believe Mitch is trying to push for 14%+. 14% would be 12.9 million.

I'm "falling for" the idea that Mitch and his team are going to do exactly what they did last time. Point at Auston's AAV and then dig in until they get it from a weak front office.

Mitch isn't going to use this year's cap % as his marker, he's going to use next year's projected as his market. He got 13.4% out of us last time and cap projections for the first year of Mitch's new deal are 92 million.

13.4% of 92 million is 12.3 million. That's what Mitch pushed for and got when he was selling RFA years ffs. Auston got a raise from 14.64% to 15.87% from his 1st to 2nd contract, you better believe Mitch is trying to push for 14%+. 14% would be 12.9 million.
Its all math, not pajamas

One thing we've never tried is the Core 4 with a good goalie, a Keefe replacement, and bigger salary cap. So of course, anything can happen.

But they should still explore every avenue of a Marner trade. Fuck that guy, and fuck him playing out the year then holding us over a barrel asking for $13 x 8. We may not get "full" value on a Marner trade, but if you can come close in the return and also get extra capspace as Mindz suggested, you can make the pieces fit just fine.

I’m sure he’ll try to get the top number he can, so what?

Its all math, not pajamas

It's funny and a bit telling imo that Tavares and Marner are fantastic examples of bad narratives that have been pervasive in Toronto for decades. There's always been the myth about some Toronto kid coming to the Leafs to lead them to glory. Tavares and Marner have hopefully ended it though. If I had to pick between the two Toronto kids vs the Half Mexican & the Swede to lead us anywhere, it's an easy decision.

I don't care where our players are from, but two Toronto kids stroking us for more than they're worth doesn't do a lot to make me want to associate my childhood driveway day dreams with their lived experiences.

Back