• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

If you're not getting back more value than you figure you can get for Marner's 10.9 in free agency, you let him walk and just spend the money in the summer. There should be zero bad money in a Marner deal.
The only time a team loses a player like this that way is when the player himself wants to leave.

No team with any sense allows it to happen and expects to fill the space with something better in free agency.

If you left out the parts where you pretend to know what the player is thinking, you would come off much better.

It looks like you were right about Marner, but it has absolutely nothing to do with outlasting management, being a Toornto kid, or worrying about his playoff numbers.
It has to do with all those things, wanting to stay with his buddy Matthews, and winning a cup in TO.

Sorry if you don’t get it.

pvGAmvR_d.webp

This is what they could do. That lineup is worth 119 Doms.

If Mitch is demanding 13 million though, you don't pay it.
He’s not asking for that, and if he is, he’ll come down. I actually don’t believe he’d ever willingly leave if there’s a reasonable number on the table. If we’re sitting here next season at this time and he’s unsigned, with $11.5m on the table, he’ll eventually take it.

Unless he plays out the year, has a monster playoffs, and wins or comes close to winning the cup, but then the pressure will be back on the team to cave to his demands. That’s why it’s important to find a way to press him now and get him signed to a fair number.

I get that you're never going to agree with everything your GM does but it'd be nice if there were less rumours that made me question whether our GM is in fact, a fucking idiot, you know?

Just think about how many Reaveses that 10.9m could buy.

pvGAmvR_d.webp

This is what they could do. That lineup is worth 119 Doms.
I believe the rumor that Bertuzzi is close to resigning. We should probably count him in at some mid to late $4m number.

It feels like Tre sort of loves his own acquisitions a bit too much. Would love to see him let these guys go a take a swing on Lindholm.

He’s not asking for that, and if he is, he’ll come down. I actually don’t believe he’d ever willingly leave if there’s a reasonable number on the table. If we’re sitting here next season at this time and he’s unsigned, with $11.5m on the table, he’ll eventually take it.

Unless he plays out the year, has a monster playoffs, and wins or comes close to winning the cup, but then the pressure will be back on the team to cave to his demands. That’s why it’s important to find a way to press him now and get him signed to a fair number.
Nothing about Paul or Mitch Marner has read reasonable up to this point.

Nothing about Paul or Mitch Marner has read reasonable up to this point.
Yeah, but you underestimate how badly they both want Mitch to stay a Leaf. Ultimately the Leafs hold the trump card because they could just refuse to resign him, so it’s a big game of chicken that has another year plus left on the game clock.

Yeah, but you underestimate how badly they both want Mitch to stay a Leaf. Ultimately the Leafs hold the trump card because they could just refuse to resign him, so it’s a big game of chicken that has another year plus left on the game clock.
I feel like no matter how many different ways people tell you Santa isnt real, you still refuse to believe it.

I mean good for you, you have more passion for the Maple Leafs than anyone on this board, and most of the actual roster.

I really think when confronted with the reality that they are no longer wanted by the team, most players typically waive. NMCs are just so they have some control over the process.

A half decent GM should really be able to get more value for Mitch than... absolutely nothing?

Do we have a half decent GM is more my question.

Pretty sure even Marner knows he can’t ask for Matthews money right now. If that’s his goal, he’s better off playing out his contract year and having his agent plant stories all season long about how some mystery team can’t wait for Marner to hit UFA to make him the highest paid player in league history.

If Marner gets injured or struggles in the first half, then I can see him willing to sign an extension for $12M/yr or under.

Back