• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

The issue we have is you can win with these contracts if you draft/develop well. Leafs are not doing that. It's really stupid how we aren't giving time to most of our young talent.

I do agree. This is where the promise of the Dubas years failed. Instead of constantly supplementing the core with a pipeline of good young players, he became a typical dummy GM signing veteran depth in the off-season and firing young players & picks out of a cannon each spring for rentals.

But it’s also easier to win if you don’t handicap yourself by paying a playoff zero who can’t even carry a line like he’s one of the top-5 players in the world.

Letting it play out into the season is the dumbest decision they can make. There are only three possible outcomes. He signs the same contract he would have in the summer, he plays his way into more money, or he walks for nothing. And it all comes with a huge distraction in Toronto which probably increases the odds of outcome #3.

You are either going to keep him and sign him for $12.5 a year, or not. Nothing that happens next year should change that. Especially not a 20 game hot streak like Willy's.

I suppose if we let him walk for nothing or fire him out the door for jack shit and get better, I'll eat crow but I'm not sure I see those as the least shitty options.

Letting it play out into the season is the dumbest decision they can make. There are only three possible outcomes. He signs the same contract he would have in the summer, he plays his way into more money, or he walks for nothing. And it all comes with a huge distraction in Toronto which probably increases the odds of outcome #3.

You are either going to keep him and sign him for $12.5 a year, or not. Nothing that happens next year should change that. Especially not a 20 game hot streak like Willy's.

100%. They need to make a decision this summer, and then move on it. There’s no point at all to letting this play out into the season. Mitch’s play in the regular season is irrelevant anyway.

I suppose if we let him walk for nothing or fire him out the door for jack shit and get better, I'll eat crow but I'm not sure I see those as the least shitty options.

I'm not saying they shouldn't keep him. I'm saying they should know what they want to do with one of the best players in the league. The outcomes from letting play out over the season are potentially disastrous with no reward.

Fair enough. You still clearly have more faith in Mitch than me if you want him re-signed for $12-13M.

I don't think the Leafs have much choice here. Sounds like he has no interest in signing this summer unless he gets something close to Matthews. And I'm not really interested in that.

I don't think the Leafs have much choice here. Sounds like he has no interest in signing this summer unless he gets something close to Matthews. And I'm not really interested in that.
It's dumb too because he's not getting more $ on the open market with 7 years.

It's dumb too because he's not getting more $ on the open market with 7 years.
We know how he negotiates. I don't think this is a Willy situation. Willy would have taken 10 last summer. Mitch is always gonna compare himself to Matthews. That's what it will take to sign him right now and it'll be what it takes to sign him if he waits and lets the season play out.

The Paul Marner playbook isn't a difficult one to suss out. Part of me agrees with LGM purely out of spite. He's an unlikeable person with an unlikeable father.

But I suppose giving him something in between Willy and Matthews is probably the better option. Another shit playoff though and the fans better boo him out of town.

Fair enough. You still clearly have more faith in Mitch than me if you want him re-signed for $12-13M.
I guess that's the part that I think is being a bit emotional because I'm not sure it has much to do with my faith in him.

I'd move him but you need to get back something that even remotely resembles the value of a guy who's scored at a 104 point pace over three years, you just do.

I guess that's the part that I think is being a bit emotional because I'm not sure it has much to do with my faith in him.

I'd move him but you need to get back something that even remotely resembles the value of a guy who's scored at a 104 point pace over three years, you just do.

So, you don’t have faith in Marner, but purely in the absence of any immediate better ideas, you still think we should hand him $12-13M per season and a fresh ironclad NMC for the next eight years?

Perfect world they trade him for equivalent value for someone who isn't a bitch. Ideally a cost controlled #1 horse d. But that's probably not realistic. It's a difficult situation. Glad we have a great accomplished GM in charge.

Marner would have some balls to refuse to waive, or extend at a reasonable number, he has to be aware that a decent chunk of the fanbase hate him.

Back