• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Some one tell me why not Cam Talbot

37 yrs old is really the only reason.

He's probably the right choice among the group of free agents though. Was basically a starter last year, and was 8th in GSAA/60. Has aged really gracefully and probably an okay bet to give us 40-45 average or better games next year. I'd prefer to aim higher than that, but I wouldn't be hyperventilating in camp over going into the season with Talbot-Woll-Hildeby as the top 3 goalies in the org. I wouldn't be thrilled either, but it wouldn't be a disaster.

Imo, Talbot is the safe play on a 1 yr deal. Stolarz is the upside play in hopes of someone there maybe being something more than he looks like right now. Brossoit is the mistake play who fell apart the only time in his career he was given the opportunity to carve out a larger role or do anything more than backup a stud. Great option if we're looking for a guy to give us a good 15-20 games a year though.

37 yrs old is really the only reason.

He's probably the right choice among the group of free agents though. Was basically a starter last year, and was 8th in GSAA/60. Has aged really gracefully and probably an okay bet to give us 40-45 average or better games next year. I'd prefer to aim higher than that, but I wouldn't be hyperventilating in camp over going into the season with Talbot-Woll-Hildeby as the top 3 goalies in the org. I wouldn't be thrilled either, but it wouldn't be a disaster.

Imo, Talbot is the safe play on a 1 yr deal. Stolarz is the upside play in hopes of someone there maybe being something more than he looks like right now. Brossoit is the mistake who fell apart the only time in his career he was given the opportunity to carve out a larger role or do anything more than backup a stud. Great option if we're looking for a guy to give us a good 15-20 games a year though.
And i take it the next crop is Samsonov, Murray, Dreigder ( wasnt he a thing), Jones, and Nejedkaldkkmsdfnaofmvix

Who can we sign for the max salary we can bury to be the #3.

Matt Murray as 3rd keeper if we go with an old like talbot for our tender with Woll.

It’ll might come down to which tender is the best DJ and party planner

But it hasn't resulted in any success in the playoffs.

We need someone who can really deliver the goods to help the rest of the guys.

Stolarz has played more than 40 games exactly once in his career. Almost 10 years ago. No way this is the best we can do this offseason.

Those names aren’t any better than the goalies we’ve had. For fuck sakes overpay for a good one.

It’s that same story every year. Get new average goalie. Average results. Early playoff exit because the other team had the better goalie. Every time.

Overpay. Someone has to shake loose.

What can he do if he wants to play out his last year here and test free agency next summer? They aren’t going to bench a top 5 RW and tank the season. That would sour the group.

Can’t wait for the inevitable 30 game point streak followed by a Matthews cap hit extension for Mitchy.

Who was it here who said he wasn’t going to waive again? And that he’d use all his leverage to stay and force an extension?

This is his refusal to waive and attempt at angling for a nice long term deal. The only question is the number. He won’t let them trade him. His message here is, if I go, I walk as a UFA and you get left with nothing.

This is exactly how I’d have advised him to handle it and he’s executing perfectly.

Who was it here who said he wasn’t going to waive again? And that he’d use all his leverage to stay and force an extension?

This is his refusal to waive and attempt at angling for a nice long term deal. The only question is the number. He won’t let them trade him. His message here is, if I go, I walk as a UFA and you get left with nothing.

This is exactly how I’d have advised him to handle it and he’s executing perfectly.
Offer an 8 mil contract based on performance, if not accepted, Strip A, lose PP slot, make sure it's public, until he comes asking for a trade.

They cannot bring him back. Return in trade is a bonus.

Offer an 8 mil contract based on performance, if not accepted, Strip A, lose PP slot, make sure it's public, until he comes asking for a trade.

You can maybe get away with this kind of treatment with Tavares, since he is almost a negative value because of his contract, but devaluing Marner in public is a surefire way to get 2 dimes, a nickel and a coupon for a dollar.

I’m good with this, except for the offering him a contract part. I wouldn’t offer him a single cent.

Offer him 8x 11.5 and see if he takes it.
This guy is going to have a monster season. I hate that the price goes up this fall after he's at a 120 point pace.

It sounds like either they overpay now or they wait it out and overpay later. Not sure leafs have much of a choice.

Or they go the LGM route and let him walk

Think it's largely an emotional response re: Marner though.

I still don't see much reason to get rid of him for a shit package.

I don’t think it’s “emotional” to believe, based on the ample evidence of the past several years, that signing Mitch for another 6-8 years at $12-13M isn’t a winning strategy.

And I wish we weren’t in a position where he’ll either walk for nothing or get dealt for a shit package, but our dumbass management let that ship sail last summer.

Now, all we can do is choose the least shitty option. And I don’t think that’s doubling down on Mitch as a vastly overpaid core piece.

Back