• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Also want to make sure something is clear. Tavares allegedly turned down 13 million x 7 from the Sharks, not 14 million x 7. Where you see "14 million" referenced is that's the total amount that he passed up over the life of the deal. But the signing bonus structuring was meant to close the gap on most of that.

Tavares didn't leave much on the table when he came home. Or at least, he didn't intend to. The CRA bending him over wasn't in the plans I don't think.

Reactions: CH1
The Willy botch job was worse than any negotiation Kyle has ever had. Tre couldn't have possibly played it worse every step of the way.

And that's gonna have a huge impact on the Marner negotiations. The trickle down effect is real. He fucked up.
Yup he fucked up royally

Play his bluff and let him go to UFA

Who was going to go beat that offer on a 7 year deal

Also want to make sure something is clear. Tavares allegedly turned down 13 million x 7 from the Sharks, not 14 million x 7. Where you see "14 million" referenced is that's the total amount that he passed up over the life of the deal. But the signing bonus structuring was meant to close the gap on most of that.

Tavares didn't leave much on the table when he came home. Or at least, he didn't intend to. The CRA bending him over wasn't in the plans I don't think.
$13m, $14m, does it matter?

Even at $13M, he left a total of $14M over the life of the deal on the table.

$13m, $14m, does it matter?

Of course it does
Even at $13M, he left a total of $14M over the life of the deal on the table.

Except he didn't in reality, only on paper. His contract was structured to utilize a canadian tax loophole on his 15.9 million dollar signing bonus that saved him 8 million in taxes.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. The point is, he left a big bucket of money on the table to join his hometown team.

So, sentimentality, family, and other considerations won out over maximizing the contract. Your position that these players only care about who's willing to pay them the most has been disproven literally hundreds of times over the years.

At least when it comes to the top players. The lesser players, sure, an extra $1M per is a big deal and might frequently override.

No, it doesn't. The point is, he left a big bucket of money on the table to join his hometown team.

The bucket wasn't that big though, that's the point. Once all of the tax fuckery is baked in, the difference was a few million over 7 years, not 14 million.

At least, that's what he thought at the time.

Your position that these players only care about who's willing to pay them the most has been disproven literally hundreds of times over the years.

You're struggling with the definition of literally there.

The bucket wasn't that big though, that's the point. Once all of the tax fuckery is baked in, the difference was a few million over 7 years, not 14 million.

At least, that's what he thought at the time.

You're struggling with the definition of literally there.
I'm not, you're just dancing around the point and playing games.

The tax fuckery on $14M is just about $7M. If you think $7M is nothing when that's more than what he'd clear in a full season, you're wrong. That's more than a full season's net pay that he gave up to join the Leafs. Meanwhile, you'd die on a hill arguing that Marner would never take even $1M less than he wants to stay where he is. Which is it?

Lots and lots of big names have left money on the table to go to their desired destinations over many decades.

So, sentimentality, family, and other considerations won out over maximizing the contract. Your position that these players only care about who's willing to pay them the most has been disproven literally hundreds of times over the years.

At least when it comes to the top players. The lesser players, sure, an extra $1M per is a big deal and might frequently override.
Literally hundreds?

I'm not, you're just dancing around the point and playing games.

The tax fuckery on $14M is just about $7M. If you think $7M is nothing when that's more than what he'd clear in a full season, you're wrong. That's more than a full season's net pay that he gave up to join the Leafs. Meanwhile, you'd die on a hill arguing that Marner would never take even $1M less than he wants to stay where he is. Which is it?

Lots and lots of big names have left money on the table to go to their desired destinations over many decades.
You’re ignoring endorsements. I’m sure over the life of the contract they have exceeded $7m. Not comparable in San Jose

Literally hundreds?
Over decades? Literally hundreds.

If it's just a matter of who pays more, what's the intrigue about where the player will go? It's always just who's willing to pony up the most? If so, I guarantee that Montreal, Edmonton, Columbus, Winnipeg, and several other teams would've been far more successful in attracting free agents.

You’re ignoring endorsements. I’m sure over the life of the contract they have exceeded $7m. Not comparable in San Jose
They'd need to exceed $14M to be equivalent, not post-tax $7M.

And based on my knowledge of what actual celebrities make on endorsements (i.e., frequently not as much as you'd think from big brands), I can assure you that this payment stream is overstated for all but the top, top, top names in the league.

Back