• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Not the same player and totally not comparing skill but Sid the Kid was a whiny sniveling ass when he was younger. I’d be more down to lose him (and moreover his meddling pops) if he didn’t produce at the clip he did regardless of the dramatics.

Also true.

Yes, I thought of that too and it probably did figure into his performance. He's still a whiny, snivelling, snotfaced little prick though who seems to me to have a superiority complex.

I simply don't like the little fuck and would like to see him gone.

I’ve honestly hated his guts ever since he and his reps decided to negotiate through the media and employ every possible dirty trick to force the Leafs into sewing a letter on his chest and giving him a massive overpayment that ignored every reasonable comparable player around the league in order to indulge his dad’s obsession with Mitch being recognized as equal to or better than Matthews.

Since then, I’ve mostly tried my best to tamp down the hate and cheer him on in the hopes that he’d live up to the contact he demanded. But now that his infamous deal is a year away from expiry and he’s utterly failed to live up to it, and on top of that he’s as entitled, whiny, brittle & thin-skinned as ever—I just don’t want to ever have to see his stupid face in a Leaf jersey again.

And that emotion aside, I think it’s also the right move for the team, even if you can’t “win” a trade for him. I’d rather “lose a trade” for him than see him walk for nothing, or re-commit to him long-term for the $13M+ per season he’ll demand. We are simply not ever going to win a damned thing with that kind of cap and such a prominent role dedicated to this player.

Core 4 Top 3 Playoff Performances
1. Marner - 2017-18: 1.29 ppg
Matthews - 2021-22: 1.29 ppg
3. Marner - 2022-23 - 1.27 ppg
4. Matthews - 2019-20 - 1.2 ppg
5. Marner - 2021-22: 1.14 ppg
Nylander - 2020-21: 1.14 ppg
7. Matthews - 2022-23: 1.0 ppg
Nylander 2021-22: 1.0 ppg
9. Nylander 2022-23: 0.91 ppg

Tavares - 2021-22: 0.86 ppg
Tavares - 2022-23: 0.72 ppg
Tavares - 2018-19: .71 ppg
Are those improvements or regressions from the regular season totals?

Marner’s top ones are improvements on the regular season those years, looks like

I’m not gonna lie… I still kinda think the Core is gonna be scapegoated when we really needed to improve the team around them more.
I agree and we have young, cheap forwards coming up now that can contribute (knies, Robertson, Cowan, minten... and just cheap holmberg and mcmann

was
Marner’s top ones are improvements on the regular season those years, looks like

I’m not gonna lie… I still kinda think the Core is gonna be scapegoated when we really needed to improve the team around them more.

Agreed. But I am coming around on the idea that it’s not really possible when they are paid as much as they are and all play the same position.

was

Agreed. But I am coming around on the idea that it’s not really possible when they are paid as much as they are and all play the same position.
Yeah, that might be true. I think if their premise was that the cap $ need to be allocated in a different way so we should trade Marner they might end up fine but if their premise is ditch Marner and continue with the same strategy for the supporting cast we’ve seen the last few years we’re fucked.

Considering you’re usually so sure that Toronto boys will give the Leafs a good deal for the love of the team, it’s kind of weird you don’t have any hard feelings towards the beloved hometown star who turned around and royally fucked this team over in order to get massively overpaid.
How did he royally fuck us over?

Did he hold out and miss games? Did he sign an offer sheet?

Or did management just give him his ask, unlike how they dealt with Willy last time around back then?

What did Marner do that was so bad? The playoff faceplants are a team effort, not something you can just blame on Marner and Tavares. But Marner delivered on his contract all these years.

It’s too bad Willy missed 3 games and Matty was sick all series, and Marner had just come back from injury, but the team lost as a group, and was mostly sabotaged by Tredonkey and Keefe. So we should exile one of our best players at all costs and that will make us better?

Back