• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Now if they free up cap elsewhere, whether it's Tavares or Marner, they have a fuckton to spend throughout the lineup if they're only spending 3m on their goalie.

In other news, Steve Simmons (I know) mentioned it's basically open season for shopping Marner (entire league has been made aware that he's available) and they won't ask him to waive his NMC unless they get an offer they like.

Calgary obviously doesn't want to work with Treliving... but Markstrom has a NMC so if he doesn't want to go to Ottawa or Jersey etc he doesn't have to waive.

I thought I heard that he already nixed the Jersey deal at the deadline.

Brossoit/Stolarz/Talbot all represent the same kind of goalie, and it s a good idea.

I think Talbot is the safest, Stolarz is the highest ceiling with Brossoit in the middle

Also, will the Senators ever fucking learn with fucking goalies? Murray 6M, Korpisallo, huge deal, now Markstrom? Jesus wept.

I think we should run with three goalies all year next year if we don't get a provenly durable asshole.

and most of the available assholes being discussed don't have any records of durability...

There's zero guarantee Stolarz would stay healthy all year either.

There's no guarantee, but Stolarz hasn't failed the only time he was given a bigger role than pure backup either like Brossoit did in Vegas.

Stolarz is bigger, a bit younger with a somewhat better NHL track record. It's easy to squint and see bad organizations fuck up his progression and Florida (who should by now have developed an excellent reputation for identifying misfit toys) profitting. Not so easy to see Broissoit being anything more than a backup when he went to an excellent team while in his prime and failed in the role.

yah I have no interest in Brossoit. we gotta stop trying to be the smartest team in the room when it comes to goalies. find the durable asshole.

yah I have no interest in Brossoit. we gotta stop trying to be the smartest team in the room when it comes to goalies. find the durable asshole.

If the organization is super high on Woll, that's great, but then Talbot is the play imo. Veteran mentor with 500 games player who isn't really competing for starts with him to help him along in his career is the play. Lower ceiling than Stolarz, but a good bet to be average to average plus.

Bear case on Brossoit for me is that a lot of his value is based on his Jets performance and I've long suspected their goalies get a bit of a sv% boost. He basically met/outperformed Helly is most of his time there (though they have changed their style of play considerably since his first stint there so I'm probably wrong with that; he may just be good). Other than that, I don't hate a $3m risk there. Obviously sign a solid vet #3 because that is a goalie that will get some games next year. Brossoit-Woll just have to be healthy/rested in the playoffs. Likely an upgrade on this year's version of Sammy.

But of course you better go gangbusters on the rest of your cap space, especially if you trade Marner. Better build a juggernaut if you're spending almost nothing on goaltending. That's where things likely fall apart. The extra cap space is gonna be spent on guys like Eddy.

Back