• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Leafs haven't fucked up goaltending nearly as bad as the Sens, they yearly, try to add the worst G value of every offseason

If that’s the bar for this team, then we are fucked. Be better than the sens management…Jesus this management team is worse than when zeke turned into a Celtics bandwagon fan. Just can’t stand that shit from zeke

Getting a better goalie is one way to push the thought of needing so many cross checking stay-at-home guys to insulate your shitty goalie.

That works when you have the best goalie. We played a way for a team to win with elite goaltending and a oiler level PP

The leafs need to find value somewhere. With the current roster competition and lack of goalies on the market it kind of needs to be in net. I’m not anti French guy but if they do that then they will need to carry three goalies next year. Bottom line.

Really, though, I think a lot of the negativity is unfounded. This team has Auston fuckin Matthews. The oilers made massive blunders with nurse and campbell and are paying Connor brown, mclovin and Ceci a 10m this year and are playing fornthe cup. Why? Because they have connor fucking depressed as hell fucking mcdavid and then added a top d.

We have Auston fuckin Matthews. Find is a top pair guy and this team takes flight.

I think Treliving has earned negativity/skepticism based on the entirety of his moves last season.

I'll be happy to change my mind if he has a good summer.
The biggest issue to me was the complete 180 on d when Klingberg didn’t work out.

I like the idea of Klingberg way more than the idea of esmonston and babooshkin.

I thought he did great with Bert and domi. Say what you want about jones but that was also a good move.

Kampf was coaching driven I think. Big mistake. Reaves wasn’t great but not damaging. The bigger issues with the 4th line was the coach falling in love with kampf and Noah macgregor.

Also keep in mind that the east move would have been to hit reset with a nylander trade.

I guess what I’m saying is it was hardly a disaster. Not great. But also not as bad as things are getting painted I think.

The biggest issue to me was the complete 180 on d when Klingberg didn’t work out.

I like the idea of Klingberg way more than the idea of esmonston and babooshkin.

I thought he did great with Bert and domi. Say what you want about jones but that was also a good move.

Kampf was coaching driven I think. Big mistake. Reaves wasn’t great but not damaging. The bigger issues with the 4th line was the coach falling in love with kampf and Noah macgregor.

Also keep in mind that the east move would have been to hit reset with a nylander trade.

I guess what I’m saying is it was hardly a disaster. Not great. But also not as bad as things are getting painted I think.
I don't totally disagree on some of the individual assessments here but agree to disagree here for the overall grade I guess.

I think Reaves ended up being really damaging and also that packing the lineup with guys like Reaves, Kampf, Benoit, Edmundson, Boosh just made us worse and doesn't give me confidence in Tre's vision going forward.

Yeah, I agree with most of this. The hating on Treliving is overblown IMO, adding Klingberg, Bert & Domi did signal a desire to add skill to the lineup. And it's kind of silly to argue this team couldn't use a little more toughness in the corners, so Bertuzzi kind of checked off both boxes.

Seems fairly obvious Reaves was added largely for his role in the dressing room, along with some 4th line grit. Klingberg was a fail but he was also hurt.

Kampf/Gregor were disastrous but as mbow stated, the issue was ridiculous deployment of these guys by Keefe.

Also there's so much vitriol on this board for veteran stay at home d-men, which is fair because they're overrated, but they're not without value. I didn't hate adding 1 of Boosh/Eddy, just not sure he needed both. Remember that Boston added Peeke, Tampa added Dumba, Rangers added Ruhwedel, Oilers added Stecher, Jets Colin Miller. It happens all the time.

There's merit to the entire spectrum of Pizza Boy arguments at this point tbh. There's enough in there to have some hope, and there's enough in there to figure that we're fucked and have them all be reasonably well supported arguments.

This summer is going to go a long way towards seeing who is right. I think he's a twit, but there's still enough positive in his Calgary resume to have some hope that he's capable of building a skilled blueline, putting good complimentary skill around Auston and whoever else survives the purge, etc.

There's merit to the entire spectrum of Pizza Boy arguments at this point tbh. There's enough in there to have some hope, and there's enough in there to figure that we're fucked and have them all be reasonably well supported arguments.

This summer is going to go a long way towards seeing who is right. I think he's a twit, but there's still enough positive in his Calgary resume to have some hope that he's capable of building a skilled blueline, putting good complimentary skill around Auston and whoever else survives the purge, etc.

Yeah, there is some duality there. Same thing goes for swinging a big trade involving a core piece.

On the one hand, he’s got the catastrophic Tkachuk for Huberdeau deal on his resume. On the other hand, he also turned Dougie Hamilton into Elias Lindholm & Noah Hanifin.

I think criticizing the GM for half the D being Edmundson, Boosh, Benoit is totally warranted.

And also warranted that it makes you concerned about his gameplan going forward.

The only counterpoint there is that the coach he inherited very clearly loves those plugs and wanted to play a slow as fuck defensive style for whatever reason.

Now, that raises a bunch of issues about not firing the loser 5 minutes after he got the fucking job in the first place. I'm not claiming that Treliving is a good GM. I just don't know if I'm full doom and gloom and expect us to go all slow cross checkers on the blueline just because Sheldon kept whining in meetings that he needed more meat on the blueline and that was the cheapest meat the Pizza Boy could find.

Basically...pending what goes on over the next 8 weeks, I'm willing to believe that Sheldon was a big part of that particular problem. Big useless plug defenders was never a thing of Pizza Boy's in Calgary. Someone can point at Zadorov, but he got Zadorov for cheap and Zadorov is actually good while being massive and plays the game like he escaped from an asylum. The rest of his bluelines have always been Weegar's, Rasmussen's, Hanifin's, Tanev's, Kylington's, Gio's, Brodie's, etc, etc.

I think he had a terrible deadline. We had some key needs and he ignored them and just went with blockhead D.

Should've added some offensive pieces to replace Klingberg and provide something beyond the core 4. Baboon and Edmundstank were not the answer.

Back