• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Yeah but they are playing plugs who can't skate in the playoffs who are trying to figure it out.
In fairness those plugs have outperformed him in two consecutive playoffs now. Not excusing how the Leafs have built their d, but that doesn't change how unplayable Timmy has been.

But again, he has zero trade value and there's no reason they can't just keep him and pencil him in on the third pair. So I don't support moving him at all.

In fairness those plugs have outperformed him in two consecutive playoffs now. Not excusing how the Leafs have built their d, but that doesn't change how unplayable Timmy has been.

But again, he has zero trade value and there's no reason they can't just keep him and pencil him in on the third pair. So I don't support moving him at all.
I think Tim's been screwed a bit though. He should have been in the lineup in 22'.

In fairness those plugs have outperformed him in two consecutive playoffs now.

One.

Timmy's struggles are overstated last year and Schenn was clearly not brought in to be a plug, he was brought in to play with Mo. In GF% and xG last year Timmy was significantly better than Holl & Gio. I'll take a 49.9% xG from an at the time 23 yr old RHD.

One of our biggest issues over this era has been a lack of patience. Since drafting Matthews and Marner almost every decision has been geared towards advancing the timeline, trying to rush development, rush success. It's all turned out to be a wet fart with a bag of 1st rounders wasted, oodles of cap space spent on veteran "leadership". This would be just another brick in that shitty, shitty wall.

Eddy and Boosh this playoff >>>> Lilly
I think I mostly agree in that they played admirably *for what they are* but also.. the overall effect of having Eddy, Boosh, Benoit all in on D at the same time is you’re not going to generate much offense.

I think I mostly agree in that they played admirably *for what they are* but also.. the overall effect of having Eddy, Boosh, Benoit all in on D at the same time is you’re not going to generate much offense.
Oh for sure. That was more of an indictment on Liljegren than a compliment to the other two.

For me personally at this stage, I don't have much time for depth guys that consistently take a drastic step back come playoff time. You just can't count on him as anything more than a third pair guy and he wasn't even that this year in the playoffs.

So for sure keep him since he has no trade value and hope he matures and steps up to become the player that we know he can be.. but he's not a guy you pencil into a key role because based on the last two years he may disappoint when it really matters.

Oh for sure. That was more of an indictment on Liljegren than a compliment to the other two.

For me personally at this stage, I don't have much time for depth guys that consistently take a drastic step back come playoff time. You just can't count on him as anything more than a third pair guy and he wasn't even that this year in the playoffs.

So for sure keep him since he has no trade value and hope he matures and steps up to become the player that we know he can be.. but he's not a guy you pencil into a key role because based on the last two years he may disappoint when it really matters.
We need to bring in two top four defenders really. But I think we’ll end up regretting punting Lilly before seeing him under another coach,

We need to bring in two top four defenders really. But I think we’ll end up regretting punting Lilly before seeing him under another coach,
Yeah I don't think he'll cost enough to care about slotting him into the third pair this year. It's basically getting another freebie look at him, I don't think he'd cost more than a typical third pair guy? But they'll trade him for nothing instead because fuck asset management

thing is it's best that Brad keep his grit fetish to the 3rd pair, and it would be better if he spent his money on actual skilled dmen.

Eddy and Boosh this playoff >>>> Lilly

Timmy struggled this year, no argument.

But we were clearly playing a style that favoured plugs and wasn't about moving the puck efficiently. I don't think it should shock anyone that both Rielly and Lilly struggled in a series where the game plan was to win 2-1 every night. Rielly has been a fucking animal in every playoff series we've had in this era until this year. I don't think that's accidental. We prioritized guys who chased the puck around making the other team miserable, not moving it efficiently up ice.

Back