• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Thompson's not a legit #1 tho.

last 2yrs, VGK and TOR goalies

VGK Brossoit 11gms, +0.62gsax/60 .927
TOR Woll 32gms, +0.48gsax/60 .912
VGK Hill 62gms, +0.27gsax/60 .911
TOR Jones 22gms, +0.22gsax/60 .902
TOR Samsonov 82gms, +0.20gsax/60 .905
VGK Quick 10gms, +0.18gsax/60 .901
VGK Thompson 83gms, +0.08gsax/60 .912
VGK Patera 8gms, -0.05gsax/60 .893
TOR Murray 26gms, -0.05gsax/60 .903
TOR Kallgren 10gms, -0.06gsax/60 .898

IMNUk4x.gif

On one hand it's probably better to just sign two of the top UFA d as opposed to trading Marner for one and the having to pay UFA prices to keep him a year later anyway.

But on the other hand Theodore is possibly better than all the d available and I'm a fan of getting the best d available at this point.

But on the other hand I'm pretty sick of one dimensional d and would much prefer a two way horse.

But on the other hand this may force them into playing a more aggressive fast pace style by necessity. Which is all I've been asking for.

But on the other hand trading Marner for a dude with significant defensive deficiencies concerns me.

But on the other hand if they insulate Theodore with someone like a Matt Roy, that's a damn good top 4.

But on the other hand Tre is likely to overpay for Pesce or Zadorov instead as the follow-up move.

But on the other hand it'll force him into getting a Rd so that'll rule out Zadorov.

On one hand it's probably better to just sign two of the top UFA d as opposed to trading Marner for one and the having to pay UFA prices to keep him a year later anyway.

But on the other hand Theodore is possibly better than all the d available and I'm a fan of getting the best d available at this point.

But on the other hand I'm pretty sick of one dimensional d and would much prefer a two way horse.

But on the other hand this may force them into playing a more aggressive fast pace style by necessity. Which is all I've been asking for.

But on the other hand trading Marner for a dude with significant defensive deficiencies concerns me.

But on the other hand if they insulate Theodore with someone like a Matt Roy, that's a damn good top 4.

But on the other hand Tre is likely to overpay for Pesce instead as the follow-up move.

giphy.gif

But on the other hand Tre is likely to overpay for Pesce or Zadorov instead as the follow-up move.

But on the other hand it'll force him into getting a Rd so that'll rule out Zadorov.
Don't forget the injury concerns of Theodore the last two years. Not nothing and needs to be considered. If he's degrading into a guy you can't rely on to play 80 + playoffs, you've playing some AHL castoff 30+ games and maybe more if you don't have him back for the playoffs. I'd shy away from a guy on the cusp of 30 who's showing sudden durability issues, especially when he isn't even the ideal fit.

And I do think the Sandin contract really fucks with Lilly's next deal. I think he is a $4M+ defender but hasn't actually proven it yet. I'd be trying to lean on him for a minimum 3 year deal, ideally 4 years, at something around $3.75M. It's still 2.5x what he had and he didn't actually earn such a huge raise.

Don't forget the injury concerns of Theodore the last two years. Not nothing and needs to be considered. If he's degrading into a guy you can't rely on to play 80 + playoffs, you've playing some AHL castoff 30+ games and maybe more if you don't have him back for the playoffs. I'd shy away from a guy on the cusp of 30 who's showing sudden durability issues, especially when he isn't even the ideal fit.
The more I think about it, the less I like it. And I didn't particularly like it at first either. I think if they were to trade him they can do better grabbing a C and signing a couple of the top d available instead. They may not be as good as Theodore but you don't have to trade Mitch fucking Marner for them either.

Back