• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Karlsson is going to be 32 in January, and just came of a sizzling 0 goals and 2 assists performance in the playoffs.

And the reason for trading Mitch is because of the poor playoff performance, right?

So add two guys that just played 14 games and had a combined 2 points instead. Sounds like the perfect tonic for what ails us.
Karlsson also had 11 goals, 6 assists in 22 playoff games the year before while winning the Cup and delivering an epic postgame speech.

View: https://x.com/talkie86/status/1670294945033523201

Truth be told, we're turning around and throwing $14M minimum at McDavid two years from now, so if Marner plays out the year and then leaves for whatever reason, you have one year in between where you could throw $11M on a one year deal at some mercenary (or two), like a twice as good Bertuzzi type who didn't land the long term deal he wanted, and then let that guy walk and throw the cash at McDavid.

Karlsson also had 11 goals, 6 assists in 22 playoff games the year before while winning the Cup and delivering an epic postgame speech.

Cool, but in the world of what have you done for me lately, he did shit and is going to turn 32 halfway through the season.

This would be a classic two dimes and a nickel trade for the quarter that is Marner, and we will be laughed at for 20 years if we made it.

Logan Thompson
6'4, 27 years old

Last 3 Years in Vegas:

.914 (19 GP)
.915 (37 GP)
.908 (46 GP) (.921 in 4 playoff games)

Thompson is a pretty good tandem goalie. 1A type guy imo.

9th among goalies in GSAA/60 (min 3500 minutes) over the last 2 seasons combined. Just behind Saros and Oettinger. Just ahead of Demko.

Over the last 3 years, same story. 10th, in a group with Demko, Oettinger, Vasy, & Jarry.

I'm not commenting on how smart it is trading Mitch in this type of a deal. But Thompson-Woll would probably be a pretty, pretty good tandem going forward.

an idiot organization trading away a 100 point RW.
I am absolutely not saying they must trade Marner, but just to be clear: Your argument is that only an idiot organization would trade him, while implying that a smart organization would keep running the same core out there every year despite winning one series in like 42 tries?

Ideally, Wild Bill is the kind of guy that you sneak in and take from Vegas when they're up against the cap and need to clear space, and use him to replace Tavares as 2C.

He's not the guy you want in return for Mitch Marner.

After a bit of a think about it, that deal with Vegas (the 3 for 1 deal, not this 2 for 1 shit I'm seeing mentioned) isn't terrible "value" for Marner but it makes no fucking sense.

- Our bluelines problem isn't that our sheltered big minute LHD isn't good enough at being a sheltered offence driver. Theodore is a good player, but he doesn't solve an actual problem here.

- Karlsson only really solves a problem if you trade Tavares. I prefer Karlsson at 5.9 to Tavares at 11, and I prefer Karlsson as 2C at 5v5 to Tavares as well but again I don't really see the problem it's solving unless a Tavares trade is also locked and loaded.

- Logan Thompson would be nice but we'd be in the same position with him next summer as we'd be with an Ullmark or Saros add (and both have been better than Thompson over 2 and 3 yr samples fwiw). Thompson would only be 28, but I imagine he'd be chasing a similar bag to Ullmark and Saros. 1 cheap year before that is nice, but meh.

Basically, this all solves a bunch of problems that there are alternative ways to solve that don't cost Marner and don't require trading Rielly and Tavares to balance the roster out afterwards.

Ideally, Wild Bill is the kind of guy that you sneak in and take from Vegas when they're up against the cap and need to clear space, and use him to replace Tavares as 2C.

He's not the guy you want in return for Mitch Marner.
Agree on this point, he'd fit in great at 3C (if not 2C) but certainly not why anyone would trade Marner. The other 2 pieces discussed are more valuable though, which is why we're having this discussion.

As for Tavares, IF he does come back for another year, it should absolutely be on the left wing. Could still be very useful there.

Last 3 yrs, 5v5:

Rielly: 1.3 P/60, .88 P1/60, 51.5%xg
Theodore: 1.44 P/60, .87 P1/60, 53.5%xg

So a bit of an upgrade, sure. But only a bit.

Theodore (29, $5.2): +16 net rating '24, +10 projected (based on playoff preview rosters)
Marner (27, $10.9): +15 net rating '24, +16 projected (based on playoff preview rosters)

At least Theodore would be a 2nd d-man who can generate significant offense though, and as pointed out is probably better than Mo. I doubt he's great in his own end, but there are far too many times Rielly looks like a homeless man's Garnet Exelby stepping into the defensive zone for the first time in his life.

Rielly is a +7 projected value.

I don't actually think they clash at all - more talent is a good thing.

It should also be cheaper to pay for defense than offense on the ufa market hopefully.

UFA dmen projections from dom's recent article:

Montour +8
Skjei +6
Roy +5
Pesce +3
Demelo +3
Tanev +2
Walker +2
Carrier +2
Gustafsson +2
OEL +1
Gostisbehere +1