• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Seeing LOF cling to his belief that Mitch wont waive/team isnt this dumb over the next 3 weeks as the truth gets stronger and stronger will be very entertaining though, as will his locked in hatred of whoever is added to the team no matter how they perform.

Woll v Thompson in particular is something i look forward to

Considering how ugly the 2LC market is, William Karlsson would be an absolute must for me if i was dealing with Vegas.

Something to consider though, it's very possible this is the only team Mitch is willing to go to, in which case Theo/Thompson might be the best Bubbles can do ( save not dealing him at all)

Lilly is 25, so patience isn’t the issue there.

It’s the right plan. If you get Skjei and Roy, or whatever there isn’t room to pay Lilly, but if you strike out then you keep Lilly.

Or...alternate plan...how about we be the team for a change that looks fucking genius because they signed their 25 yr old defender to a 5-6yr/4-5M deal before he broke out as a top 3 defender instead of being the team constantly trading 1sts or signing 29-30 yr old UFA contracts for those guys?

Lilly just turned 25 and as noted a few weeks ago there's only a small handful of RHD who were 24 or under this season, played 18+ minutes (top 4 minutes on most teams) and had .30ppg or higher. Faber, Makar, Dobson, Bouchard, Durzi, Seider, Nemec, Liljegren

Liljegren was comparable as a 24 to every name we're seeing mentioned as a good UFA target for us right now. Let's be the smart ones who just had Skjei for 6 yrs at 5.25, Roy for 3 x 3.15, Montour for 3 x 3.5, etc.

If we get Theodore back, how do you keep Rielly? They're the same guy who largely do the same things in the same role. Can we really have two puck moving LHD that need sheltering?

Or...alternate plan...how about we be the team for a change that looks fucking genius because they signed their 25 yr old defender to a 5-6yr/4-5M deal before he broke out as a top 3 defender instead of being the team constantly trading 1sts or signing 29-30 yr old UFA contracts for those guys?

Lilly just turned 25 and as noted a few weeks ago there's only a small handful of RHD who were 24 or under this season, played 18+ minutes (top 4 minutes on most teams) and had .30ppg or higher. Faber, Makar, Dobson, Bouchard, Durzi, Seider, Nemec, Liljegren

Liljegren was comparable as a 24 to every name we're seeing mentioned as a good UFA target for us right now. Let's be the smart ones who just had Skjei for 6 yrs at 5.25, Roy for 3 x 3.15, Montour for 3 x 3.5, etc.
Not to mention he could probably be had for less. I'd say Sandin's $4.6M is the ceiling for him and that there are good arguments for him to have to sign for even less.

Logan Thompson
6'4, 27 years old

Last 3 Years in Vegas:

.914 (19 GP)
.915 (37 GP)
.908 (46 GP) (.921 in 4 playoff games)

Karlsson is going to be 32 in January, and just came of a sizzling 0 goals and 2 assists performance in the playoffs.

And the reason for trading Mitch is because of the poor playoff performance, right?

So add two guys that just played 14 games and had a combined 2 points instead. Sounds like the perfect tonic for what ails us.

Still seems to me that the best option with Marner is to let him play out his contract and then talk about re-signing next offseason. Maybe it will motivate him to show up in the playoffs. Either way, call his bluff and let him test the open market if he wants to see if someone will meet his Matthews-level money demand.

If so, bye bye. In Mitch’s case, either he re-signs at a reasonable number, or you get to play with more cap space than he is worth.

Overpaying to get your home grown stars to stay is a small-time team play. Good teams do not do it.

Vegas is so much smarter than us it's fucking crazy.

If this goes down like that:

They went out at the deadline, added Hanifin (better 2 way LHD) for a 1st and conditional 3rd. Sign him to a long term, team friendly extension. Trade another 1st and 2 3rds for Hertl (to replace Karlsson) and trade the two guys they improved on already for Mitch Marner.

So for 2 1sts and a few 3rds they free up enough player value on their roster to take advantage of an idiot organization trading away a 100 point RW. They then take advantage of the whole no state tax thing and sign Mitch to an extension 1-1.5 million a year cheaper than he would have signed here.

Back