• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Annoying to me that we keep going back to the well on the exact same strategy through the years:

Find some dude in the neighbourhood of 30 years of age who’s bounced between being an AHLer or a 20-30 game NHL backup for the entirety of their career, pay too much for them in a trade and/or pay them too much money, and hope they suddenly transmogrify into a good NHL starter.

No cap space to pay any real money to goaltending as long as Tavares and Marner stay. Unless of course you're ok to squander this opportunity to rebuild your d corps with the slew of excellent options available.

I mostly consider next year a write off anyway, if they keep Tavares. It's just crazy money allocated to 4 guys next year. So rebuild the d, develop your kid forwards, and think ahead to 25-26.

Well, my stance on the matter is clear. I want both Tavares & Marner gone, which would leave us plenty of cap to address goaltending without having to settle for pooper-scoopering some crap out of the bottom of the bargain bin.

Annoying to me that we keep going back to the well on the exact same strategy through the years:

Find some dude in the neighbourhood of 30 years of age who’s bounced between being an AHLer or a 20-30 game NHL backup for the entirety of their career, pay too much for them in a trade and/or pay them too much money, and hope they suddenly transmogrify into a good NHL starter.

I'm trying to think of even one of our goalie adds that fits your description of what we "always" do....and i think only campbell fits that definition and he was brought in as a backup and earned the #1 job when more expensive #1 goalies failed and then we let him go as soon as he was expensive.

No cap space to pay any real money to goaltending as long as Tavares and Marner stay. Unless of course you're ok to squander this opportunity to rebuild your d corps with the slew of excellent options available.

I mostly consider next year a write off anyway, if they keep Tavares. It's just crazy money allocated to 4 guys next year. So rebuild the d, develop your kid forwards, and think ahead to 25-26.
A write off with prime aged Matthews, Nylander and Marner.... it's only June and the offseason has already fried some people.

A write off with prime aged Matthews, Nylander and Marner.... it's only June and the offseason has already fried some people.
Don't make 101 post the % of cap that the core 4 will be taking up next year.

I'm encouraged that they're going cheap on a goalie and prioritizing d tho. There's a bull case where they have the guys internally that successfully replace what Bert and Domi did last year. And they can then sign a couple real good top 4 d. And their cheap goalie tandem can perform at an average+ level (odds of that are not much different than if they paid an "established" guy).

But they're gonna need a lot to go right with no room for error. And well... Insert Tre goofy face pic.

They have enough cap space to fix the D if they do it right. Goaltending and depth scoring will still be question marks though.

Of course Tre could also spend the cap space on Zadorov and Pesce and then D is too.

$54 million for the next GM to work with next offseason though.

Top 6: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, kneis, tavares (yes he is still a top 6 player)
Bottom 6: mcmann, kampf, jarny, Robertson, dewar, holmberg, DJ R^2
Needs: 1 top 6 C or W

Top4: Rielly, McCabe, Lilly (debatable)
Bottom pair: timmins, benoit

Goalie: Woll

Needs: 1 top pair D, 1 middle pair D to push Lilly or McCabe to the 3rd pair. Goaltender, bargain fishing for a scorer.

We have the cap space and assets to pretty much acquire whoever we want during the season and we have cap space next offseason.

Last edited:
Ullmark's limited playoff stats are pathetic and the guy is turning 31 next month.

A big, fat pass over here, with best wishes to whoever wants to take the risk of some term deal for big bucks to find out if more playoff games will yield better results. Fuck that.

Back