• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

With the young talent we have in house on the wing, just let them ride. Robertson, Knies, Cowan could easily be your 1-2-3 LW solution next season. Add at the deadline if there is a need for the playoffs.

Goalie, two top 3 defenders, and if we can a 3C are way, way bigger needs than adding a 20-25 goal middle 6 winger.

With the young talent we have in house on the wing, just let them ride. Robertson, Knies, Cowan could easily be your 1-2-3 LW solution next season. Add at the deadline if there is a need for the playoffs.

Goalie, two top 3 defenders, and if we can a 3C are way, way bigger needs than adding a 20-25 goal middle 6 winger.
that sounds pretty pretty risky

Flexibility this summer is simply limited if they run it all back. They have an entire d corps to build so the majority of the money is gonna have to go there. As we've seen in the last three playoffs we obviously without a doubt know it's not necessarily the best decision to spend real money on a goalie so the lack of flexibility may save them yet. They can prioritize building a strong d corps this summer for years to come and then fill in the gaps once Tavares if off the books.

I can’t even properly articulate how disinterested I’m going to be in this team next season if they just simply “run it back” yet again with all the same core guys.

Especially if Caillou has another huge long-term contract extension in-hand to start the season, cementing the fact that absolutely nothing is going to change.

that sounds pretty pretty risky

Not sure if serious, but just in case:

P/60: P1/60

Robertson - 2.36:1.95
Knies - 1.98:1.56
DeBrusk 1yr - 1.48:1.13
DeBrusk 2yr - 1.86:1.55
DeBrusk 3yr - 1.90:1.56

Just play the kids. Much cheaper, probably just as good and potentially better. One of the easier things in the universe to find at the trade deadline is a veteran expiring Tyler Toffoli or some shit for a 2nd and a 4th

Some potential targets: Nelson, Giroux, Konecny, Boeser, Nyquist, Buchnevich, Vatrano, Sharangovich, Granlund, Palmieri, Kurashev, Kuzmenko, Smith.

A legit difficult minute eating top 2 or 3 d is hard to come by in a normal year and there are a few of them available this summer. You want to rebuild your d rapidly and lock it in for years to come? Grab two of them. That depletes their cap space but with Tavares on the books and the core four eating up more cap space than ever, it's gonna be tough to improve much next year anyway. They don't really have any interesting d prospects so imo that is the move. Let the kids carry the load on forward depth. And unfortunately for some this requires going with a cheap goalie tandem next year.

A legit difficult minute eating top 2 or 3 d is hard to come by in a normal year and there are a few of them available this summer. You want to rebuild your d rapidly and lock it in for years to come? Grab two of them. That depletes their cap space but with Tavares on the books and the core four eating up more cap space than ever, it's gonna be tough to improve much next year anyway. They don't really have any interesting d prospects so imo that is the move. Let the kids carry the load on forward depth. And unfortunately for some this requires going with a cheap goalie tandem next year.

Not moving Tavares is as stupid as it is spineless. Other playoff teams are getting comparable contribution for 3-5 million.

I haven't heard Skjei linked to them at all so that probably means they're not getting him. But giving him the $$$ and signing Roy for reasonable money on a potential value deal would be my dream scenario.

After last years shitshow of horrible options on d, Tre better take advantage of the many great options out there. This is the market giving him a chance to rebuild the d corps for years to come. Don't fuck it up.

(He'll fuck it up)

I can’t even properly articulate how disinterested I’m going to be in this team next season if they just simply “run it back” yet again with all the same core guys.

Especially if Caillou has another huge long-term contract extension in-hand to start the season, cementing the fact that absolutely nothing is going to change.

I kinda feel that way too, while at the same time wanting to see how the new coach works with them.

I think some big changes would be a good thing though really.

In a perfect world where veteran hockey players understood that playing 40-50 regular season games max so that you're fresh and ready for the playoffs and that's all that matters, I'd love to have him back.

In ultimate warrior land where you're a bitch if you don't try to play all 82 and being beat to shit by April is just part of being old, pass. Coach will never sit him because veteran and he'll be hurt and shit by the playoffs, but we needed Gio out there for the goal that sends us home for the summer because reasons.

Last edited:
He’s fine, but he’s also 41 and we know won’t be a major contributor come playoffs. I’d rather see Timmins/Webber/Niemi/Villineuve/Miettinen get those regular season minutes to see if there is anything there.

Plus the one thing Tre did well was find cheap scrap heap dman (Benoit, Lagersson, Lajoie).

Back