• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Tbh I think it ends up being an uneventful offseason for Bundy. I doubt we see either Tavares or Marner waive their NMC. Why would they? I think it’s more likely Marner resigns long term.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the play being JT resigns after his deal for half or whatever.

get a good goalie. Shore up the defense. Let the young kids play.

Don’t do something dumb and trade Marner for a bag of mystery beans. No chance we win that deal.
Okay AltAccountOfFaith

At least 2 of the stupid things we could have done have been taken off the board already (markstrom and dubios)
It’s spelled “dubious”, and it is very dubious that there aren’t an unlimited number of stupid things for pizza shoes to still do, some far stupider than these two moves.

Tbh I think it ends up being an uneventful offseason for Bundy. I doubt we see either Tavares or Marner waive their NMC. Why would they? I think it’s more likely Marner resigns long term.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the play being JT resigns after his deal for half or whatever.

get a good goalie. Shore up the defense. Let the young kids play.

Don’t do something dumb and trade Marner for a bag of mystery beans. No chance we win that deal.

Mystery beans >>> Mitch @ 8 yrs x $13M

You don't trade Marner unless you can "replace" him via free agency or trade.

ie. Sign Guetzel, trade Marner for a couple of really good pieces.

Perfect.

He's 30 when the season starts. Not necessarily done by 37, but still a decent risk of that deal being ugly after a few years.

Another reason why Debrusk at 27 and a reasonable cap hit would be a great move.

You don't trade Marner unless you can "replace" him via free agency or trade.

ie. Sign Guetzel, trade Marner for a couple of really good pieces.

Perfect.

You don’t sign someone to an insanely idiotic contract just because you don’t have any immediate ideas on how to replace their regular season production.

You also don't let one of the best players in the league walk for nothing while still young.

As long as there's roughly equivalent mutual desire to stick around, they have to find a decent number and extend.

I'm skeptical it would be that much given coming off a down year, but he's coming off two flirty 30 goal seasons and eye test loves him.

Plus he shows up in the playoffs. He's really the perfect complement up front to these guys.

I love the 5 years part if that's all he'd require. Worth the $5.8M part if that's the lowest he'll go.

The difference between Bertuzzi and DeBrusk is 1 yr of age, and Bertuzzi is way tougher/greasier. They're basically the same guy overall.

I don't want either for 5 years guaranteed.

Debrusk is worth that contract, but if we are running it back we only have about $20 mill in cap space to add two forwards, two D and a goalie.

Robertson and Dewar should cost about $2 mill. So that leaves $18 ish, with a full forward group. $3 goes to a backup like Brossoit/Stolarz leaving $15 mill.

So if you sign Bertuzzi/Debrusk for $6 that leaves $9 mill for two top 4 dmen. Ultimately its $6 mill on a big money #4/5 winger vs a #3 dman.

Debrusk is worth that contract, but if we are running it back we only have about $20 mill in cap space to add two forwards, two D and a goalie.

Robertson and Dewar should cost about $2 mill. So that leaves $18 ish, with a full forward group. $3 goes to a backup like Brossoit/Stolarz leaving $15 mill.

So if you sign Bertuzzi/Debrusk for $6 that leaves $9 mill for two top 4 dmen. Ultimately its $6 mill on a big money #4/5 winger vs a #3 dman.
What is cheaper to acquire at the deadline? Because either spot will need to be filled during the season.

You don’t sign someone to an insanely idiotic contract just because you don’t have any immediate ideas on how to replace their regular season production.

He doesn't need to be signed for another 12 months - but if we could replace him now and trade him with or without an extension then things look pretty good.

If he's walked to free agency, and we lose him for nothing - that would be pure incompetence.

Back