• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

That's cool. He was 19th in scoring among UFA forwards, 14th in goals.

If he was budget friendly I was cool with it, but there's a bag of guys of similar overall quality and some of them are bound to fall through the cracks and sign either cheaper long term deals or 1 yr show me's

Duchene, Monahan, Teravainen, Duclair, Tarasenko, Perron, Sprong, Kane, Toffoli, Mantha.
He’s really a $4m guy for me. Above that is an overpay.

He’s really a $4m guy for me. Above that is an overpay.

I'm good with $5 on a multi year tbh. 5 million at an 88 million dollar cap isn't a big spend on a guy who slots in at any wing slot in your top 9 pretty well. He probably chases 27-30 goals if he gets regular 1st unit PP time last year.

But by all means let him test the market first. If someone wants to throw dollars and term at him, go nuts.

That's cool. He was 19th in scoring among UFA forwards, 14th in goals.

If he was budget friendly I was cool with it, but there's a bag of guys of similar overall quality and some of them are bound to fall through the cracks and sign either cheaper long term deals or 1 yr show me's

Duchene, Monahan, Teravainen, Duclair, Tarasenko, Perron, Sprong, Kane, Toffoli, Mantha.

yep, we can probably find what Bertuzzi can give at this point in his career, but for less money/term

xGAR 2 years (NHL Rank)
Reinhart - 164 gp, 46.8 (11th)
Toffoli - 161 gp, 38.3 (20th)
Debrusk - 144 gp, 30 (37th)
Marchessault - 158 gp 25 (51st)
Carrier - 95 gp, 21.4 (68th)
Foegele - 149 gp, 20 (81st)
Hathaway - 166 gp, 19.5 (84th)
Guentzel - 145 gp, 19.1 (87th)
Teravainen - 144 gp, 18.7 (92nd)
Sprong - 142 gp, 15.4 (120th)
Joshua - 142gp, 13.5 (136th)
Bertuzzi - 130 gp, 11.6 (150th)
Henrique - 144 gp, 10.8 (158th)
Stamkos - 160 gp, 10.1 (166th)
Arvidsson - 95 gp, 8.9 (183rd)
Perron - 158 gp, 8.6 (192nd)

Wonder if Arvidsson is cheap.

Doms 1 year
Reinhart - 22.6 (5th)
Guentzel - 16.4 (17th)
Marchessault - 7.9 (64th)
Stamkos - 7.5 (66th)
Tearavainen - 6.7 (74th)
Toffoli - 6.2 (78th)
Mantha - 6.0 (81st)
Bertuzzi - 5.4 (94th)
Joshua - 4.8 (101st)
Kane - 4.3 (113th)
Foegele - 4.2 (114th)
Debrusk - 3.7 (125th)
Monahan - 3.5 (131st)
Henrique - 2.3 (147th)
JVR - 2.3 (147th)
Avidson - 2.0 ( 153rd
Tarasenko - 1.6 (157th)
Domi - 1.5 (159th)
Carrier/Perry - 0.1 (174th)

If you guys do deal Marner, Teuvo Terevainen is kind of Marner light. Just as unphysical, can score some goals, is a shifty playmaker, good defensively and can kill penalties. I could see him as a much cheaper Marner replacement if the Canes don't resign him.

David Kampf at $2.5*4 because you pay a premium for that position. The defense rests.
Counterpoint: live footage of Sheldon Keefe when asked for his opinion on Kampf:

K9PDE90.gif

He’s probably a guy that gets overpaid. Definitely would shore up the goaltending and defense before we make any moves up front. Wait out a couple guys like we did last year to get Bertuzzi and Domi. Wouldn’t give anyone term on the forwards side. I’d like to see us stay agile and have cap space available every year for that monster fish(McDavid) or a true #1 if it becomes available.

Only way you pay a Bertuzzi type is if we move off JT. But I don’t see that happening.

Resign Marner.

Both Domi and Bert took 3/4 of the season to figure out how to play in Keefe's system, would love to see what they could do with a season under their belts.

He’s probably a guy that gets overpaid. Definitely would shore up the goaltending and defense before we make any moves up front. Wait out a couple guys like we did last year to get Bertuzzi and Domi. Wouldn’t give anyone term on the forwards side. I’d like to see us stay agile and have cap space available every year for that monster fish(McDavid) or a true #1 if it becomes available.
That will happen if you just leave Tavares where he is and the year after just spend the $11m on expiring guys.

Tbh I think it ends up being an uneventful offseason for Bundy. I doubt we see either Tavares or Marner waive their NMC. Why would they? I think it’s more likely Marner resigns long term.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the play being JT resigns after his deal for half or whatever.

get a good goalie. Shore up the defense. Let the young kids play.

Don’t do something dumb and trade Marner for a bag of mystery beans. No chance we win that deal.

Back