• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

is there any reason to sign Woll before he plays out the final year of his contract?

especially for such a generous AAV and term?
They think he could have a year that puts him in the 6-7+ mil category. And yes, he could have a year like that. We don't know. But he could also not! We shall see.

In any case this is their attempt to get value out of a starting caliber goalie. It's a risk and largely a blind one.

If we are to believe we had a comparable offer for markstrom WTF was the plan here? Was Woll the backup plan and now they feel the need to lock him up because they are going to force him into 45+ games?

Too late to join the Oil Change band wagon?

world-cup-change-teams.gif

If we are to believe we had a comparable offer for markstrom WTF was the plan here? Was Woll the backup plan and now they feel the need to lock him up because they are going to force him into 45+ games?
I think that trade would have worked in conjunction with this one. A heavily retained Markstrom at 3-4m + Woll at 3.5-4. Next year it would be a cheap tandem and the year after that you're looking at 7-8m.. still not a crazy cost.

But the dreams of trading assets for and extending Saros or Ullmark are just about dead imo.

They need a second goalie. Marktsrom is only signed for 2 more years, so they would have paid their goalies $7.5-8 mill next year which is fine.

I think that trade would have worked in conjunction with this one. A heavily retained Markstrom at 3-4m + Woll at 3.5-4. Next year it would be a cheap tandem and the year after that you're looking at 7-8m.. still not a crazy cost.
LOL.

So your anti-investment argument was directed at the fictional posters who want to spend over 10M on goaltending?

LOL.

So your anti-investment argument was directed at the fictional posters who want to spend over 10M on goaltending?
????

7-8m for two goalies is high now? In a 2026-2029 economy? Wtf? I've always supported a tandem. The data on the volatility of goaltenders supports a tandem over paying one guy big bucks longterm. If you can get them for cheaper than that I approve but in any event, I was speaking more towards Tre's line of thinking. I simply think the Markstrom trade worked in conjunction with this and he felt ok about spending that amount of money on two goalies from 2026-2028.

I've never once said they should get two league min Kallgren's. Hell, two Brossoit's this next season would cost 6-7m. Why would you ever think I expect less than that while supporting a tandem?

Last edited:

I mean I do agree that if they're gonna trade him it probably has to be this week. Need to know what kind of cap space you have heading into free agency. And now is when other teams have cap space to add a contract like that, unless salaries are matched.

Lots of games being played through the media from all parties it seems. Tre's group, Marner's agent and other teams are gonna feed these guys anything that they think increases their leverage.

On the one hand, this is exactly what I want to hear. On the other hand, Seravalli is Dreger-tier when it comes to “insider” trustworthiness.
So if dreger is saying they're trying to extend him and frank is saying they want to trade him, is that a wash? Are we back to having no fucking clue?

????

7-8m for two goalies is high now? In a 2026-2029 economy? Wtf? I've always supported a tandem. The data on the volatility of goaltenders supports a tandem over paying one guy big bucks longterm. If you can get them for cheaper than that I approve but in any event, I was speaking more towards Tre's line of thinking. I simply think the Markstrom trade worked in conjunction with this and he felt ok about spending that amount of money on two goalies from 2026-2028.

I've never once said they should get two league min Kallgren's. Hell, two Brossoit's this next season would cost 6-7m. Why would you ever think I expect less than that while supporting a tandem?

I’ve must have lost touch at what the cool kids consider “investing” today. I thought 8M showed commitment….I’ll just move on with the rest of the day

Back