• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

This board blew up on Dubas after the Mrazek and Murray moves for the most part. It's a silly narrative to think we wouldn't have commented that this was too much too soon for Woll if Dubas did it.

If there's one thing that brings us all together, it's freaking out over the Leafs goalie decisions.

Philosophically I agree. I just don't see significant cap savings between this rumoured deal and the one we would sign next year after he played ~40 good games for us.

Sammy got 1 year $3.5 in Arby’s for one couple year, so a 3 year deal would have been a lot more. Of course we wouldn’t have wanted him for an extra 2.

Of course we also jerked Tre off for the Bert and Domi signings and many even somehow defended the klingberg signing! Do good work and you'll be jerked off.

Sammy got 1 year $3.5 in Arby’s for one couple year, so a 3 year deal would have been a lot more. Of course we wouldn’t have wanted him for an extra 2.

And that's kind of the point. Use the time that you have to assess a player before getting married. If a cheap deal (2.5x3 or some shit) lands in your lap, fine. But if it's market rate or near for what that player has done so far, just make them prove they can do the job over a wider time horizon and pay that market rate later.

I'm not particularly high on Woll, but that's not a bet I would make. Samsonov is a mess who we got a nice half season out of once upon a time.

My bet re: Woll is that as the league figures him out a bit, a combination of durability and mediocrity does him in and he finishes this contract in the AHL. I don't love this whole bit of needing to string a bunch of tiny ass samples together to make him look like more than an average backup.

We have been hearing for years the organization is high on woll. At least they are trying to get out ahead of a young RFA for once, even though the goaltender isn't the one I would have chosen to try and get signed long term.

I think Woll has proven that he’s good, but just hasn’t proven that he can be durable. He steps up big under pressure.

i didn't say what his next contract would have been, you did

Because I took the time to take a quick glance at what comparable RFA goalie contracts have been signed over the last few years. If Woll has a good season, he would be inline with the guys who signed at the 4.5%-5% of the cap range. Also, yes, many of those contracts included UFA years in them like any long term Woll did also would.

None of this shit is quantum physics. Player thinks they're as good as Player A,B,C who signed for X % of the cap. Team thinks you're actually as good as these other 3 players who signed for Y%. Team and player then use whatever leverage points (team needs, GM who breathes through gills on the back of his neck, RFA leverage, etc) they can to bend the other party in their direction.

Tre: Where are we at on the fact that Samsonov sucks, and Woll is good?

Keefe:

GDhHjEG.gif

Back