• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Has anyone here ever complicated a Dubas goalie decision? I'm serious. I don't think I've seen it. Maybe the Campbell trade?

I think it's just projection. If Dubas signed Woll to this contract rent free would be shitting on him.
complemented?

The Woll contract is simple and no one "didn't understand it." It's an attempt to save 2-2.5m over 2025-2028. Because if he has a great year this year he could get up to 6m on a 3 year deal. My position is that, to justify the risk, the potential savings should ideally be a bit more than that.

Of course if he bombs out he may be worth 1-2m so you're potentially overpaying by 2-3m in those 3 years. Not a nightmare but I just don't this as a huge win.
I don't see it as a win at all. For the Leafs, that is. For Woll? Huge win.

I guess I'm just comparing Woll after a .920+ season next year to Jack Campbell a few years ago. And Jack got 5x5 so Woll could maybe get 6m from a dumb team considering cap inflation. Not that I'd ever pay him that anyway. If that happened you move on and find another cheaper tandem guy.

So those "savings" that I mention are largely artificial because it implies that you'd sign Woll to a mega contract after a strong year.

I don't mind betting on their young players early. Could've saved them a ton of money/players in the past, but Dubas never really did it.

Lou signing 25 year old Hyman duing a 20 point year for 4 years $2.5 was one of the best deals we've had. He also signed Rielly and Kadri to their long term extensions before they really earned it.

Woll's injuries make him a risky bet, but he's been awesome when healthy.

I don't mind betting on their young players early. Could've saved them a ton of money/players in the past, but Dubas never really did it.

Lou signing 25 year old Hyman duing a 20 point year for 4 years $2.5 was one of the best deals we've had. He also signed Rielly and Kadri to their long term extensions before they really earned it.

exactly. fans seem to be confused about the idea of signing players before they break out to contracts that will more likely than not be underpaying the player

Philosophically I agree. I just don't see significant cap savings between this rumoured deal and the one we would sign next year after he played ~40 good games for us.

Well, he did…only problem is that the young (or young-ish) players he chose to bet on with 3+ year deals were Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot & Holl.

And maybe the rumor is overstating. I kinda doubt Tredonkey would hand him more than Sammy had on his last deal.

It probably ends up being $3.4M or $3.5M.

It's not.

Half the board turned on Dubas 12-24 months before he was fired. A few of us were skeptics even before that.
I recall quite a few Dubas apologists right up to the end. Closet skeptics can fuck off.

Either way. This deal kinda sucks. No matter who signed it.

And maybe the rumor is overstating. I kinda doubt Tredonkey would hand him more than Sammy had on his last deal.

It probably ends up being $3.4M or $3.5M.

The AAV's are tough to compare because Sammy's was an arby award. Sammy was asking for 4.9 million in arbitration fwiw.

By the way, why isn't the fucking donkey signing Lilly to that deal instead of Woll?

Because the organization loves the easily broken goalie with 25 games of slightly above average play because he's still not quite 26 yrs old and therefore has tons of potential. Lilly on the other hand has failed to establish himself as a reliable top 3 defender by the age of 25, which shows a distinct lack of potential or something.

No, none of it makes any sense.

I'm the biggest dubas guy here and you can check the matt murray thread amongst many others to see where I was on him long before he was done.

Back