• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Vegas would wipe its ass with us on a deal like that. It would make the Hyman loss look like a perfectly fine move.
stop making shit up.

Rcfv3av.jpeg

ho9oeZt.jpeg

The Woll contract is simple and no one "didn't understand it." It's an attempt to save 2-2.5m over 2025-2028. Because if he has a great year this year he could get up to 6m on a 3 year deal. My position is that, to justify the risk, the potential savings should ideally be a bit more than that.

Of course if he bombs out he may be worth 1-2m so you're potentially overpaying by 2-3m in those 3 years. Not a nightmare but I just don't this as a huge win.

Fucking incredible you think you can pick and choose which cases of injury proneness are fluky and which are detrimental towards a players career.

Its simple, you dont want to trade Marner, so Theodore is injury prone.

You really like Woll and dont want to spend big dollars on a goalie, which helps justifying you keeping your robot bitch and his 11M on the roster, so it's flukey
Theodore is injury prone because he’s missed half the season two seasons in a row.

I like Woll because he’s good and cheap, and the injuries don’t mean anything with one year left on his deal and a platoon role ahead regardless. Now that he’s a $4m guy, things are different.

And in any event, he isn’t a rumored trade target for Marner. Theodore is. Context is key. And you, as usual, just babble bullshit.

Theodore is injury prone because he’s missed half the season two seasons in a row.

I like Woll because he’s good and cheap, and the injuries don’t mean anything with one year left on his deal and a platoon role ahead regardless. Now that he’s a $4m guy, things are different.

And in any event, he isn’t a rumored trade target for Marner. Theodore is. Context is key. And you, as usual, just babble bullshit.
I"m tired

The Woll contract is simple and no one "didn't understand it." It's an attempt to save 2-2.5m over 2025-2028. Because if he has a great year this year he could get up to 6m on a 3 year deal. My position is that, to justify the risk, the potential savings should ideally be a bit more than that.

Of course if he bombs out he may be worth 1-2m so you're potentially overpaying by 2-3m in those 3 years. Not a nightmare but I just don't this as a huge win.
If he is getting 3.5x3 and a good season gets him 6... wouldn't that be a 7.5MM savings over 25-28?

Then let him. Recent goalie arby awards for seasons much better than the one Woll just had has been less money than it sounds like the Leafs are about to give him.

If he's coming off of a bad, injury filled season, his case in arby is pretty shit and we're getting him for 1.5-2 million instead of ~3.75
arb awards are only for 1 or 2 years (woll's would be 1 only) and going to arb strains the relationship between player and management, it's best all parties involved avoid that process

if he is coming off a bad season he wouldn't even go to arb, players go to arb if they've had good seasons; he's also our best goalie by a wide margin, it makes sense to lock him up asap

Has anyone here ever complicated a Dubas goalie decision? I'm serious. I don't think I've seen it. Maybe the Campbell trade?

I think it's just projection. If Dubas signed Woll to this contract rent free would be shitting on him.
i wouldn't, this is a good contract regardless of who signed it.

If he is getting 3.5x3 and a good season gets him 6... wouldn't that be a 7.5MM savings over 25-28?
Meant per year. But the kicker is that if he has a great year and it costs 6m to retain him, I simply wouldn't do it. I get that there's upside. Everyone does. But usually on these deals where you're projecting future value you'd hope for a bit more value. It's not terrible. I think somewhere around 3x3 would have been fair. So if it's 3.5 that's fine. Just not a great deal. Tre is just as shit at negotiating as Kyle it seems.

Because if he has a great year this year he could get up to 6m on a 3 year deal

This is probably a faulty premise though. Swayman has been one of the best in the league over the last 3 seasons combined and he's probably not looking far north of 6M on this extension they're working on right now, and it's probably an 8 yr.

If Woll gave us a .915 or something next season, his RFA deal is probably in that 5% range. The only RFA guys to sign north of 5% the last bunch of years are Demko, Shesty, Saros, Vasy, Spencer Knight (1st rounder coming off of a .908 as a 20 yr old)

if he bombs, then they have a goalie who makes at most $4 million for 3 years, which isn't a horrible situation to be in since the cap will be rising quite nicely over the upcoming seasons. $4 mil in a $92-$100 mil cap environment is not bad at all

This is probably a faulty premise though. Swayman has been one of the best in the league over the last 3 seasons combined and he's probably not looking far north of 6M on this extension they're working on right now, and it's probably an 8 yr.

If Woll gave us a .915 or something next season, his RFA deal is probably in that 5% range. The only RFA guys to sign north of 5% the last bunch of years are Demko, Shesty, Saros, Vasy, Spencer Knight (1st rounder coming off of a .908 as a 20 yr old)
well ofc he wouldn't be looking for far north of $6 million, that is a high, unrealistic bar and he isn't a franchise-level goalie. he's a very good one, imo a tier below franchise level. he will be looking for a lot of money though

arb awards are only for 1 or 2 years (woll's would be 1 only) and going to arb strains the relationship between player and management, it's best all parties involved avoid that process

If the cost to sign a guy with his lack of experience and durability is this type of contract, let's strain that relationship.

if he is coming off a bad season he wouldn't even go to arb, players go to arb if they've had good seasons; he's also our best goalie by a wide margin, it makes sense to lock him up asap

He can be your best goalie without being a good goalie.

It doesn't make any sense to lock into term on an entirely unproven goalie when you had runway to assess him with. Play out the season, see how he does and re assess next summer. If he gives you a good 35-40 games of .910+ this season then you can start looking at comparable RFA multi year deals that have been given out. Feel free to take a look on capfriendly. The going rate for that kind of guy is about 5% of cap. So at even a 92 million dollar cap you're in at 4.5ish x 3-4 years. I would much rather sign that deal next summer, than this ~3.75x3 deal now. You get to mitigate a whole pile of risk by just being patient for a year.

Whatever the case, I'm not seeing enough upside in this deal to call it a "good one." No one is committing suicide over it. It's not David Clarkson. But I see assymetric risk-reward and not in the good way.

well ofc he wouldn't be looking for far north of $6 million, that is a high, unrealistic bar and he isn't a franchise-level goalie. he's a very good one, imo a tier below franchise level. he will be looking for a lot of money though

~4.5 x 4 would be about the deal he'd be looking at after a successful 24/25. We're taking on a bunch of risk to save less than a millie and 1 yr in term.

Whatever the case, I'm not seeing enough upside in this deal to call it a "good one." No one is committing suicide over it. It's not David Clarkson. But I see assymetric risk-reward and not in the good way.

Yup. There's no benefit for us here unless he breaks out into stud territory. Any sort of reasonable career progression from him just lands him in the type of place where his next deal will be slightly richer than this one we're apparently giving him after 25 slightly above average games.

Back