• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I don't understand why it's so hard for lof to change his opinion. Or at least become less firm on them. You can be bullish on Liljegren and want to keep him while also acknowledging that he was shit in the playoffs. Both things can happen at once.
He has been steadfast in every opinion he’s ever had, positive or negative.

Thing is, we’ve seen the kind of player he can be. And confidence is maybe THE most important thing in professional sports. Keefe smashed it every chance he got. We owe it to the player and ourselves to see what he can do under a coach who’ll support him.
I think everyone here agrees with most of that but the term unplayable for him at times is very appropriate. There have been stretches where he can’t be trusted on any level

I don't understand why it's so hard for lof to change his opinion. Or at least become less firm on them. You can be bullish on Liljegren and want to keep him while also acknowledging that he was shit in the playoffs. Both things can happen at once.
If he wasn’t great, that’s one thing. Unplayable is total exaggeration. And since nobody was great and Lilly had a Keefe problem his whole career, I don’t put much stock into a handful of games playing in front of shaky Sammy and the other crap that was littered across our lineup.

If you asked me a year and a half ago before the ROR deadline I'd say Liljegren was on the track to being a two way stud, and potentially top pair guy. My opinion on that has become less firm since. And I think that's ok.

If you asked me a year and a half ago before the ROR deadline I'd say Liljegren was on the track to being a two way stud, and potentially top pair guy. My opinion on that has become less firm since. And I think that's ok.
It is okay. But less firm doesn’t mean throw him to the wolves. It should mean let’s give him a shot in a brand new situation.

I’d actually like to see what Berube can do with Liljegren. But if he’s gone I’d have to assume he had some say in that decision.

Seems like a bad decision to let him go for nothing though.

It is okay. But less firm doesn’t mean throw him to the wolves. It should mean let’s give him a shot in a brand new situation.
But I don't support losing him for nothing. I don't think Tre does either. I just don't think he's the automatic too 4 stud that we assume he'll be on another team. Sure maybe but I'm less confident than I used to be.

No I mean did he play Parayko from a youngish age.

I’d way rather go the FA route than trade more assets for Parayko.

Not like we have many draft picks as assets to move anyway.

He was healthy scratched 2 playoffs in a row… (the literal definition of unplayable) and now he’s getting a raise because that’s how NHL earnings work….

It’s not about throwing someone to the wolves… it’s about having to make a difficult decision

Lilly struggling while cheap is no prob.

Lilly struggling when on a real contract is a prob.

Yeah and team context matters.

A team like the Habs could afford to be extra patient that a youngish RHD will eventually figure it out (like so many others)

The Leafs are chasing cups. ASAP

Of the depth guys he felt like the best option from a value and positional perspective.

But I fear we'll look back at this offseason and wish he did more and aimed higher with the d.

Domi
Tanev
Zadorov

Not sure how they'll afford OEL too. And Liljegren is almost certainly going.

if they sign Domi and Zadorov for about $4 mill each, they have $13 mill in cap space to sign Dewar and Robertson and add a D and G. Should be about $10.5 after signing Dewar ($800k) and Robertson ($1-$1.5).

Yeah signing Domi makes a 3rd pricey dman unlikely. Unless OEL is only like 2.5 or something.

Back