• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

so in the end we got 1 impact dman instead of two, and that 1 is pretty old.

so definitely not great.

Not really what I wanted to see. But then agian what i wanted to see would have required being more ruthless with the likes of Lilly Kampf Krok at the bottom of the roster.

on the positive side, Brad didn't really do what we were all scared of - overpay for no-skill gudpro at the bottom of the lineup. and he did exactly what I wanted to see with the goaltending. And smartly prioritized Domi, a guy who can step in at center unlike most very other free agent forward out there.

And if Berube can help fix Lilly, then maybe Brad comes out looking pretty dang smart. here's hoping.

I really don't like the idea of losing Robertson though. If we do lose him we better get a good young forward asset back. If we lose him for nothing that makes the offseason move closer to the outright "bad" column.

200w.gif

Let’s not forget that we have a pretty prettttty pretttttttttttttty good lw itching for a chance next year.

so in the end we got 1 impact dman instead of two, and that 1 is pretty old.

so definitely not great.

Not really what I wanted to see. But then agian what i wanted to see would have required being more ruthless with the likes of Lilly Kampf Krok at the bottom of the roster.

on the positive side, Brad didn't really do what we were all scared of - overpay for no-skill gudpro at the bottom of the lineup. and he did exactly what I wanted to see with the goaltending. And smartly prioritized Domi, a guy who can step in at center unlike most very other free agent forward out there.

And if Berube can help fix Lilly, then maybe Brad comes out looking pretty dang smart. here's hoping.

I really don't like the idea of losing Robertson though. If we do lose him we better get a good young forward asset back. If we lose him for nothing that makes the offseason move closer to the outright "bad" column.
The d is wayyyyyybettr on paper. It’s a grenade with the pin out. But they’ve massively upgraded.

Trading Liljegren and signing Roy instead of OEL (and/or getting rid of Reaves and Kampfkrok) makes this offseason and slam dunk for me.

But Liljegren has some upside so that could be entirely forgivable if he realizes that potential. Another year of him crumbling though and it's gonna be hard to get my faith in him back.

Love the analytics approach to goaltending tho. Very impressed that they didn't do anything dumb there and sacrifice other parts of their roster. Gotta prioritize d and forwards in a cap world, that's what wins cups.

Trading Liljegren and signing Roy instead of OEL (and/or getting rid of Reaves and Kampfkrok) makes this offseason and slam dunk for me.

But Liljegren has some upside so that could be entirely forgivable if he realizes that potential. Another year of him crumbling though and it's gonna be hard to get my faith in him back.
Maybe. But winston + oel at 6.5 might be better than Roy at 6. Plus you’d need to replace Winston.

Love the analytics approach to goaltending tho. Very impressed that they didn't do anything dumb there and sacrifice other parts of their roster. Gotta prioritize d and forwards in a cap world, that's what wins cups.
They took a few risks but at the end of the day the leafs needed a matchup d, better puck movement from their d and a d who an anchor the pp. they did that.

They locked up lilly, who everybody thought was going to be non tendered.

They kept domi who brings skill, versatility and some punch.

And yeah I like stolarz + Murray in net.

Maybe. But winston + oel at 6.5 might be better than Roy at 6. Plus you’d need to replace Winston.
Could be yeah. Liljegren is the x factor because he wasn't very playable just a few months ago. If he's top 4 Lilly then I agree. Lots of uncertainty though imo because of the wide range of Liljegren's we've seen. Roy is just a more sure thing. But you had to pay for that assurance.

I'm a little surprised by how the models rate Domi tbh. His production, especially looking at primary points and production per ice time was just so damn good. And he filled in at C just fine. Sure he's not good defensively but I don't know that he's that much worse than most of the other guys.

He was fucking #2 in the league in primary assists per 60, lol….and 11th overall in raw primary assists.

So yeah, I don’t get his distaste for Domi at all.

Yeah it's hard to reconcile going from Markstrom (middling workhorse) to Stolarz. You'd think if Markstrom was target A then he'd have gone to somenone like Talbot or something from there.

The rumors about Markstrom seemed pretty legit as well, wasn’t just your regular old guessing on Twitter.

They knew the parameters of our offer etc..

Yeah it's hard to reconcile going from Markstrom (middling workhorse) to Stolarz. You'd think if Markstrom was target A then he'd have gone to somenone like Talbot or something from there.

Harder to reconcile that many media members being flat out incorrect in their reporting with this front office.

Markstrons advance #s are good, though and fair or not Talbot has a rep as unreliable.

Back