• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

As our #3 he's fine. Hard to find a #3 with any upside, and if he was even healthy for 3-4 weeks at the end of last year he probably signs for some form of money and term somewhere else.

Woll
Stolarz
Murray
Hildeby
Akhy

Someone has to stay healthy and not suck, right?
And here’s the hockey’s gods chance to say hold my beer.😆

Are Berube & Brad thinking OEL-McCabe as the second pair?

Gotta assume so. It's either OEL or Benoit on that side as the second pairing guy.

I really don't like how we've constructed this with the only 2 defender we can trust in the toughs both playing the right side.

Gotta assume so. It's either OEL or Benoit on that side as the second pairing guy.

I really don't like how we've constructed this with the only 2 defender we can trust in the toughs both playing the right side.
As currently constructed they probably won't have a true shutdown pair. It'll be shutdown by committee aka roll them out there and just play hockey. We know Keefe doesn't work that way especially once playoffs roll around but maybe Berube does?

I haven't paid attention to OEL or his game in recent years. Is he still a skinny version of Kaberle with a better shot and worse passing?

Florida Playoffs

5v5

Forsling 39.1toi%, +3.6dzs%, 49.9xgf%, -2.2rel, 1.22p1/60, 1.35p/60
Ekblad 37.7toi%, +3.7dzs%, 47.8xgf%, -4.9rel, 0.00p1/60, 0.42p/60
Montour 37.1toi%, -5.4dzs%, 54.6xgf%, +1.8rel, 0.57p1/60, 1.00p/60
Mikkola 33.7toi%, -4.8dzs%, 50.4xgf%, -2.9rel, 0.16p1/60, 0.31p/60
ELarsson 27.5toi%, -7.5dzs%, 62.7xgf%, +8.9rel, 0.39p1/60, 0.39p/60
Kulikov 25.4toi%, -5.7dzs%, 55.3xgf%, +1.8rel, 0.00p1/60, 0.42p/60

OEL was sheltered in the playoffs but he did crush it in that usage. And in the playoffs teams target weak bottom pairing guys (like ours) so it's not actually that easy to crush it even when sheltered.

PP

Montour: 67.0toi%, 0.64p1/60, 1.28p/60
ELarsson: 33.0toi%, 1.43p1/60, 5.70p/60

PP worked much better when OEL was on the point.

More I chew on these signings, more I sorta love it….yes if we look around the league I could cherry pick other signings I’d have preferred in a vacuum, but that’s also not reality. They may have had zero interest in coming here.

All said and told I think we got better than the sum of the additions on D, given what Tanev brings to our top minute eating pair, and the possible versatility OEL brings. Love the Domi deal when the likes of DeBrusk, Bertuzzi etc got $5.5m + term.

Also glad we brought Liljegren back, even if it’s a touch more than I hoped.

….and I really think Stolarz has a chance to be a real home run.

Last edited:
It's for sure a drastic, drastic improvement over the playoff roster. That team was depressingly shit. Hope Tanev can hold on for another 2-3 years, he's gonna be the backbone back there.

Goaltending is whatever. Cheap and should be better than last year's Sammy. D is hugely improved and they should be able to make up for losing Bert with some Knies progression, hopefully Robertson too and maybe Cowan.

Back