• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

And I just totally left off McCabe from this years D, which brings it up to 68.4. So if you take off our #2 dman this years D still absolutely destroys last years.

why are the numbers different for the same player in the two different categories?

why are the numbers different for the same player in the two different categories?

Because its not the last 2 years, its the 2 years before that season. McCabe has been a high end dman the last two years, but three years ago he stunk.

But I also included the 2023-24 numbers with good McCabe.

Because its not the last 2 years, its the 2 years before that season. McCabe has been a high end dman the last two years, but three years ago he stunk.

How does it look if we just use the current two year numbers for both?

yeah obviously the blueline is better than last year, especially since Brodie just completely fell apart.

I'm trying to think though if this dcorps is necessarily better than ones from previous years. I'm actually leaning yes towards that too, but I'm not sure.

looking just at playoffs D for now:

NOW: Rielly, McCabe, Tanev, OEL, Liljegren, Benoit, Hakanpaa, Timmins
2024: Rielly, McCabe, Edmundson, Boosh, Liljegren, Benoit, Brodie, Timmins
2023: Rielly, McCabe, Brodie, Schenn, Giordano, Holl, Liljegren, Gustafsson
2022: Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Giordano, Boosh, Holl, Liljegren, Sandin
2021: Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Holl, Bogosian, Sandin, Dermott, Liljegren
2020: Rielly, Muzzin*, Barrie, Ceci, Holl, Dermott, Marincin, Sandin
2019: Rielly, Muzzin, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Dermott, Holl, Marincin
2018: Rielly, Gardiner, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Polak, Dermott, Carrick, Marincin
2017: Rielly, Gardiner, Hunwick, Zaitsev, Polak, Marincin, Carrick, Marchenko

I think it was the 2021 year where both Brodie and Muzz were healthy and good. Other than that the D hasn't looked as good on paper.

I don't even like the comparisons with their d from last year. They absolutely should be way the fuck better than that. That was not a playoff caliber d. Especially with Liljegren playing like that.. and even Mo was shit. They had nothing back there. Boosh was supposed to be their worst d by the nerdies but he was by far their best.

He got his tree bitch and depth d itch scratched now. Maybe in the deadline he'll aim for skill this time!

I hope that Hakanpa knee thing isn't true cause he's actually a pretty good #6. He is massive and physical like Benoit, but also an elite PKer and a righty, and played tough usage.

He's way better than Edmundson, Benoit, Boosh.

One high end, ideally top pair d and a real good 2c and this is a top team in the NHL imo. No cap space for that right now but maybe by the deadline if someone is available...

Of course it Liljegren breaks out then the d thing is covered. Didn't want to have to rely on that but relying on players to outperform their contracts is part of winning cups.

Yeah Brodie and Muzzin's ages weren't concerns from from a cap perspective. They were concerns because they were gonna need to replace them imminently. Now they're in a situation where they're paying those guys for the next several years. So you just hope to get as many good years as you can out of them, but it's sorta out of your control now.
Keep in mind though that Muzzin was a broken commodity - he had disc surgery in junior and then a series of concussions and neck issues. And his career was ended by injuries, not declining play. Not a surprise.

Brodie is a cautionary tale but his drop off was rapid in a way you practically never see - contrast that to the steady but linear decline of gio, which is a more common trajectory.

Keep in mind though that Muzzin was a broken commodity - he had disc surgery in junior and then a series of concussions and neck issues. And his career was ended by injuries, not declining play. Not a surprise.

Brodie is a cautionary tale but his drop off was rapid in a way you practically never see - contrast that to the steady but linear decline of gio, which is a more common trajectory.
Tanev ain't exactly a beacon of health

One high end, ideally top pair d and a real good 2c and this is a top team in the NHL imo. No cap space for that right now but maybe by the deadline if someone is available...

Of course it Liljegren breaks out then the d thing is covered. Didn't want to have to rely on that but relying on players to outperform their contracts is part of winning cups.

Pretty gigantic issue to pay 11m for a 2C and still be looking for a 2C.

I hope that Hakanpa knee thing isn't true cause he's actually a pretty good #6. He is massive and physical like Benoit, but also an elite PKer and a righty, and played tough usage.

He's way better than Edmundson, Benoit, Boosh.

from Dom's playoffs previews, he had

Lilly +8 in 20:58 projected TOI
Rielly +7 in 22:28
Tanev +5 in 23:42
McCabe +4 in 20:43
OEL -2 in 15:14

Edmundson -5 in 17:41
Benoit -6 in 18:22
Hakanpaa -7 in 16:00
Lyubushkin -8 in 17:04

So he has Hakanpaa in the same ballpark as those guys.

Pretty gigantic issue to pay 11m for a 2C and still be looking for a 2C.
I think Tavares can maybe do it just fine. He's better than a lot of real good teams 2cs. But of course I'm talking about what would take this team to the next level. Having another realgud, real solid 2c caliber player would make them deeeep and real strong. With Domi always around as center injury insurance as well.

Back