• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

from Dom's playoffs previews, he had

Lilly +8 in 20:58 projected TOI
Rielly +7 in 22:28
Tanev +5 in 23:42
McCabe +4 in 20:43
OEL -2 in 15:14

Edmundson -5 in 17:41
Benoit -6 in 18:22
Hakanpaa -7 in 16:00
Lyubushkin -8 in 17:04

So he has Hakanpaa in the same ballpark as those guys.

Think he was hurt and shit this year, because this was his card last year:

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-12.39.04-PM-1536x966.png

Ideally we'd just have a better 3C (exasperate issues by using Kampf there and making both bottom 6 lines offensive black holes) and Tavares not at 11m.

Knies-Mathews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Cowan/Greboykin-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Krok
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Lilly
OEL-Hakanpaa
Benoit-Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

I just don't know if Matthews will be good without Bertuzzi though...

Knies --- Matthews --- Robertson
Domi --- Tavares --- Marner
McMann --- Holmberg --- Nylander
Dewar --- Kampf --- Jarnkrok
(Reaves)

Rielly --- Tanev
OEL --- McCabe
Benoit --- Liljegren
(Hakanpaa)
would be super cool if Brad could move Kampf and Jarnkrok and get an actual useful player in return.

on another note, Dallas letting Tanev and Hakanpaa go and buying out Suter just so they could badly overpay Dumba and Boosh is one of the weirder things that happened yesterday.
And Smith.

Bought out Suter to get 3 worse and some more expensive Suters

I'd definitely agree with everything here.

Blueline is for certain immediately better.
I seem to be the person most concerned about Tanev dropping off.

he's already almost 35 with a LOT of mileage on him. are there any examples of other shutdown defenders who stayed effective into their mid-late 30s?

I think we likely have only one or two more seasons left similar to what he gave CGY/DAL this past year. if that.

and OEL I'm also not convinced is much more than a passable bottom pairing defender.

we do at least have more competent puckmovers top to bottom on D, so that's encouraging. but I also see lots of risk. hopefully Timmy can finally take that next step and Tanev has not lost a step. if both those things happen, we're looking good.

also, Rielly looked like he may be starting to slow down last year too. need to monitor that...

The only thing that really annoyed me was the Reinhart contract. But that's just me being jealous that Florida's stud that grew up rich is less greedy than the Leafs dudes.

But hey maybe the Leafs can use that against Marner.

Knies-Mathews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Cowan/Greboykin-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Krok
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Lilly
OEL-Hakanpaa
Benoit-Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

I just don't know if Matthews will be good without Bertuzzi though...
I'd prefer Kampf and Reaves gone but this is good/realistic.

I seem to be the person most concerned about Tanev dropping off.

he's already almost 35 with a LOT of mileage on him. are there any examples of other shutdown defenders who stayed effective into their mid-late 30s?

I think we likely have only one or two more seasons left similar to what he gave CGY/DAL this past year. if that.

and OEL I'm also not convinced is much more than a passable bottom pairing defender.

we do at least have more competent puckmovers top to bottom on D, so that's encouraging. but I also see lots of risk. hopefully Timmy can finally take that next step and Tanev has not lost a step. if both those things happen, we're looking good.

also, Rielly looked like he may be starting to slow down last year too. need to monitor that...
Most of us have been calling for the Leafs getting a true shutdown d for awhile and there may not be a better one in the league than Tanev. He is quite literally possibly the best in that one specific role in the entire league. And the Leafs got him. Do I wish he was a two way guy and younger? Yeah of course but then he'd cost 10m.

So it is what it is. It's a risk worth taking imo. He'll decline when his body decides to decline and it's out of our control now. As of just a month or two ago, he was busy shutting down some of the best players in the NHL.

Most of us have been calling for the Leafs getting a true shutdown d for awhile and there may not be a better one in the league than Tanev. He is quite literally possibly the best in that one specific role in the entire league. And the Leafs got him. Do I wish he was a two way guy and younger? Yeah of course but then he'd cost 10m.

So it is what it is. It's a risk worth taking imo. He'll decline when his body decides to decline and it's out of our control now. As of just a month or two ago, he was busy shutting down some of the best players in the NHL.
until he got hurt, sat out the end of the series, and his team lost. wouldn't shock me to see us endure a similar fate.

like I get he's a beast. and a super effective shut down d-man when healthy.

I'm just skeptical that we see much of that guy at all over the length of his 6-year deal. really hope I'm wrong.

but Tanev is a risk due to age and health. hopefully it works out in our favour.

to your point, Tanev is not a long-term solution on our D. you had convinced me that was the way. instead we have another bandaid that could be super effective if it holds, or completely useless otherwise.

until he got hurt, sat out the end of the series, and his team lost. wouldn't shock me to see us endure a similar fate.

like I get he's a beast. and a super effective shut down d-man when healthy.

I'm just skeptical that we see much of that guy at all over the length of his 6-year deal. really hope I'm wrong.

but Tanev is a risk due to age and health. hopefully it works out in our favour.

to your point, Tanev is not a long-term solution on our D. you had convinced me that was the way. instead we have another bandaid that could be super effective if it holds, or completely useless otherwise.
I wish they got someone like Roy in addition to Tanev but I don't think this is a bad risk to take. In 3 years it'll look bad but I think the purpose is to win a cup before that. So maybe they do! My bigger issue is that I don't think Brad built a cup winner this summer. That was always gonna be difficult to do with Tavares making 11m tho.

There's always the deadline at least.

Back