• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I wish they got someone like Roy in addition to Tanev but I don't think this is a bad risk to take. In 3 years it'll look bad but I think the purpose is to win a cup before that. So maybe they do! My bigger issue is that I don't think Brad built a cup winner this summer. That was always gonna be difficult to do with Tavares making 11m tho.

There's always the deadline at least.
yah that's the thing right. we're not a Tanev away. I get the risk but seems foolish if we're not gonna jettison the flotsam clogging up the bottom of our roster and 2lc.

Ideally we'd just have a better 3C (exasperate issues by using Kampf there and making both bottom 6 lines offensive black holes) and Tavares not at 11m.

My thing with Tavares is that it generally costs a team significantly to have a player of that calibre….you either have to be unfathomably bad so you can draft them (Islanders with JT, us with AM, WN, & MM), you have to trade a fuckton of assets to acquire them which costs you dearly in the long run, or you have to magically select such a player in the later rounds and extend them early & for the long term.)

To get a Tavares level talent, still in his relative prime, without picking high, without emptying your cupboards to acquire (and then still pay a ton), you have to be incredibly lucky and have an opportunity to acquire them in free agency, at which point you pay an acquisition cost that is built into their AAV.

We paid ~$2m per for the opportunity of adding a talent like Tavares to an already great team, without forfeiting a key cog from the roster, a number of our top prospects, or half a decade of first round picks.

Paying Krok, Kampf, Reaves $5.8m is a much bigger issue, or swinging and missing on Mzarek, Marleau, allowing ourselves to be squeezed by Mitch, retaining on Kessel….those are all considerably worse uses of cap funds, than paying a premium to have Tavares in our lineup these 7 years.

The Brodie/Muzzin contracts were both short term too. All those contracts handed out yesterday are bad, and not long term solutions.

The Leafs went for the value play, which allowed them to keep Domi and Lilly.

So it comes down to is Lilly the better long term play than Skjei/Roy/Montour. Time will tell.

Everyone assumes all those guys would have signed here as they get sad about missing out.

I wish they got someone like Roy in addition to Tanev but I don't think this is a bad risk to take. In 3 years it'll look bad but I think the purpose is to win a cup before that. So maybe they do! My bigger issue is that I don't think Brad built a cup winner this summer. That was always gonna be difficult to do with Tavares making 11m tho.

There's always the deadline at least.

Roy is also an American who has only ever played for US based teams….no guarantee he’d have been willing to come here, or just how much more it might have cost us to lure him here over Washington.

My thing with Tavares is that it generally costs a team significantly to have a player of that calibre….you either have to be unfathomably bad so you can draft them (Islanders with JT, us with AM, WN, & MM), you have to trade a fuckton of assets to acquire them which costs you dearly in the long run, or you have to magically select such a player in the later rounds and extend them early & for the long term.)

To get a Tavares level talent, still in his relative prime, without picking high, without emptying your cupboards to acquire (and then still pay a ton), you have to be incredibly lucky and have an opportunity to acquire them in free agency, at which point you pay an acquisition cost that is built into their AAV.

We paid ~$2m per for the opportunity of adding a talent like Tavares to an already great team, without forfeiting a key cog from the roster, a number of our top prospects, or half a decade of first round picks.

Paying Krok, Kampf, Reaves $5.8m is a much bigger issue, or swinging and missing on Mzarek, Marleau, allowing ourselves to be squeezed by Mitch, retaining on Kessel….those are all considerably worse uses of cap funds, than paying a premium to have Tavares in our lineup these 7 years.

No one wants to hear me talk about Kampf and Reaves again, I'm sure.

But in terms of what we'd ideally have at C, that's it for me. Tavares has fallen off a bit and makes the lineup a bit slower IMO. Will hopefully be less bad this year if Kampf is on the 4th instead of 3rd.

Roy is also an American who has only ever played for US based teams….no guarantee he’d have been willing to come here, or just how much more it might have cost us to lure him here over Washington.
I strongly suspect that this was the case yeah.

eh, I opposed the JT contract at the time, and ME has shown how this was our original cap sin, and how if fucked us (and continues to).

plus, having JT allowed us to ditch Naz on his team-friendly deal.

and, he's been half as productive as a Leaf in the playoffs than our top C.

I'd be happy to dump him for... nothing, other than cap relief.

yeah ignore me I thought he was out for games 6 and 7 but looks like he played. doesn't really change the injury concerns for me at all

Love how hockey is the sport filled with the biggest bitches... baseball, football, soccer, basketball players thrive to be on the best teams in the best cities.

Yes but also it shows how horrible the franchise is at handling the attention, especially now that we've decided to do everything out in the open. Feeding the beast with quotes for them to speculate on is going to bring us full circle to where we were when Lou wanted to create a safe environment for the players in a ridiculous media environment.

The media is not the organizations friend, it actively tries to hurt the organization, its fucking unhinged and idiotic in its takes. But here we are trying to feed it selectively now. Crazy.

eh, I opposed the JT contract at the time, and ME has shown how this was our original cap sin, and how if fucked us (and continues to).

Ie - you ignore the entire point I made about cost acquisition, wrt UFA.

Adding Tavares was a great, safe move to try and win now…..bad puck luck has everyone believing we’ve been worse than we have, during the core 4 era.

plus, having JT allowed us to ditch Naz on his team-friendly deal.

Naz was moved because no GM would gamble their job on him being suspended a third straight playoffs in round one…..was a mistake, but it had nothing to do with JT.

and, he's been half as productive as a Leaf in the playoffs than our top C.

Matthews has played at a 35 goal pace the last three years, Tavares 26….which tracks with their relative age/talent levels atm.

Playoffs also just have plenty of variance when you’re playing one round a year….Matthews despite being the god that he is, has three different playoff years where he only scored one goal.

I'd be happy to dump him for... nothing, other than cap relief.

Said nearly everyone ever, in the 7th year of a UFA signing……we just happy to be lucky enough that Tavares is still a fantastic player in year 7, and that would happen to be a moronic move.

Back