• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

For me it just comes down to "we can and we will" ended up locking 50% of the cap space into 4 forwards. Its poor roster/cap construction and left them scraping the barrel to try and find depth scoring, defense and goalies, which proved way too difficult if not impossible and the four forwards couldn't carry them anywhere.

Could we have spent the money worse? Probably. But the process was bad.

"Who is the best player available, lets go after them" isn't a workable strategy in a cap world. BPA is how you draft, not how you approach free agency.

They had Auston-Kadri-Willy. They didn't need a center.

It was the same process that brought us Babs. "Who is the best "name" money can buy?" with no evaluation of "is this what our team needs?"

Turns out no, we didn't need an abusive maniac to develop the kids.

And Lou too for that matter. Did he draft well in Jersey? Spend cap space effectively? "Who cares its fucking Lou Lamoreillo."

Really stretching the memory here, but I believe the cap space was created when the team chose not to extend Van Riemsdyk and Bozak - so I suppose in 1 alternative timeline the Leafs would have brought those guys back?

Here were the alternative ways to spend that cap money:

View attachment 21052

We’d have kept Hyman for sure.

Really hoping Robertson ultimately stays.

It shouldn't be that hard of a sell and his agent going public with this was probably more to pressure the organization to make some promises to him than it was about ensuring that he was moved. They know they aren't in the drivers seat when it comes to getting him traded.

The coach that held him back is gone, we're thinner on his wing than we were last year. Promise him a legit top 6/9 role with PP time and let's go.

Really hoping Robertson ultimately stays.

Pizza boy’s comments give me some hope here. If he is determined to hang on to him for this coming season, there isn’t really much Robertson can do.

Is he going to sit out the season when he’s already missed so much time to injury? And when that’d only lower his trade value and make it even less beneficial for the Leafs to trade him?

Yeah, this is what I figured happened with Skinner.

Can’t blame a Cup-chasing vet for going to the team that just made it to game 7 of the Cup final over the team that can’t get out of the first round.

Except for the rare hometown guy who’s desperate to play in Toronto specifically, we’re going to need to have some real playoff success before we start attracting these kind of players again. Benefit of the doubt is gone at this point.
But folks looking for a payday on matty’s wing…come on down!

I also wonder if they've set their eyes on Tarasenko. I don't know the relationship between Berube, but Tarasenko showed up for the blues and he was real important in the finals against Edmonton. I hope they make room.

Hell, trade Marner and Lilly to Vegas for pietrangelo and bring the blues back together

It was the same process that brought us Babs. "Who is the best "name" money can buy?" with no evaluation of "is this what our team needs?"

Turns out no, we didn't need an abusive maniac to develop the kids.

And Lou too for that matter. Did he draft well in Jersey? Spend cap space effectively? "Who cares its fucking Lou Lamoreillo."
Ultimately its a failure of the shanaplan. Time for him to go.

I also wonder if they've set their eyes on Tarasenko. I don't know the relationship between Berube, but Tarasenko showed up for the blues and he was real important in the finals against Edmonton. I hope they make room.

Hell, trade Marner and Lilly to Vegas for pietrangelo and bring the blues back together
Suspect he costs too much

It shouldn't be that hard of a sell and his agent going public with this was probably more to pressure the organization to make some promises to him than it was about ensuring that he was moved. They know they aren't in the drivers seat when it comes to getting him traded.

The coach that held him back is gone, we're thinner on his wing than we were last year. Promise him a legit top 6/9 role with PP time and let's go.
Honestly, if you cant convince him then you either dont want him and trade him anyways or couldn't negotiate a pair of scissors out of a paper bag and should be demoted back to Assistant to the assistant line cook at your local BP

6 straight cups?

We won one round.

Yeah, it's hard to overstate how much the "Tavares era" failed.

Since we signed Tavares, here's the playoff rounds won by each team

Tampa: 11
Florida: 8
Carolina: 8
Boston: 6
NYI: 6
Montreal: 4
NYR: 4
Columbus: 2
Toronto: 1
Philly: 1
Jersey: 1
Washington: 0
Pittsburgh: 0
Detroit: 0
Buffalo: 0
Ottawa: 0

Whatever the plan was it was either a terrible plan or it failed miserable...or yeah, both.

At John Tavares’ household (and LOFs) that unproductive period is known as the Marner Era

Back