• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Man if all it took was a little work ethic to make it past 35...

Tldr: age is undefeated and it catches up to all of them. You need a really high baseline to have any hope of making it (i.e. Crosby, Jagr, Chara, and even Gio).
I think the injuries are a thing, the body wears down from the beatings they give and receive. That’s likely the biggest reason they don’t last. I don’t think the body just falls off a cliff at age 35 otherwise.

The picks aren't their own

The asterisk is we own Florida's.

So not owning their own picks in a rebuild? To me that's screwed. They're mitigating it though.
I’d say the most likely scenario is they finish top 10 and keep their pick and you get Florida’s first.

That's likely yes but there's a few other scenarios, the worst for them being winning the lottery next year.
Wait, what? How is that bad tor their rebuild? They’ll have first overall, an extra first, and two seconds.

It’s just the better scenario for the Habs.

Wait, what? How is that bad tor their rebuild? They’ll have first overall, an extra first, and two seconds.

It’s just the better scenario for the Habs.
Look at it again before the recent acquisitions. I just think they really got screwed with the about face and rebuild. If they win the lottery then we get their 26 pick. 25 will not be a great draft for what I'm reading. So they can get a Slafkovsky type first overall but then we get their pick in the 2026 McKenna draft and a third from them in 2025. There's also a scenario where if they get #2 we actually get it next year.

The mental gymnastics they used to try to minimize the cost of moving Monahan may turn around and bite them now. And it's a much better than zero chance.

I would prefer their pick in 26 and a third next year.

So perhaps I should rephrase to, they have a decent shot at screwing this up. Especially if they decide to move the Florida pick prior to 25 draft which I don't think they'll be that stupid to do but you never know.

Calgary is just commencing their rebuild with far fewer assets than Anaheim, Ottawa, Montreal and even Columbus.

My opinion that you're free to reject.

This should clear that up better

1720114236557.png
I don't see Florida having a higher pick in 26 and I can see Calgary finishing bottom 5 next year.

The lottery scenario is only if they don’t have Florida’s pick to give.

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

I don't understand why you're arguing what I just said but ok

Read one of your sub scenario.

meant in jest! obviously not communicated effectively. just salty about how few picks we have, didn't appreciate the reminder :p
All good mate. I'm celebrating the fourth of July with my usual tradition...

Drinking Mexican tequila. This stuff is so good I recommend trying it. Corked tequila, mmmm

IMG_3274.jpeg

Heck I'm even starting to think HL might be correct after reading different site's explanations of what may be the most complicated conditions I've ever read in hockey.

You're right HL, it does look like a particular subset. I still think they aren't in the best position to rebuild just yet though.

All good mate. I'm celebrating the fourth of July with my usual tradition...

Drinking Mexican tequila. This stuff is so good I recommend trying it. Corked tequila, mmmm

View attachment 21088

Heck I'm even starting to think HL might be correct after reading different site's explanations of what may be the most complicated conditions I've ever read in hockey.

Aha Toro is fine, but you need to upgrade from the blanco though. Their reposado is pretty solid if you can find it.

I think the injuries are a thing, the body wears down from the beatings they give and receive. That’s likely the biggest reason they don’t last. I don’t think the body just falls off a cliff at age 35 otherwise.
For sports that are a high percentage explosive movements, it absolutely does.

Back