• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

he actually admits the real issue in the piece - that leafs fans are the only fanbase that don't get to enjoy an actual home broadcast, like everyone else gets:

"And that’s the problem you get when you’re broadcasting on the national level out of Toronto. They want a local broadcast but at the same time, the broadcasters are broadcasting to every corner of the province. You might be broadcasting a game where the New York Islanders are playing and the young men who play for the Islanders are from all different parts of Canada as well. And their people are invested in it. It’s a really a hard one to win in that sense.”

LOL. Fuck off Jim.

In what fucking universe should the friends and family of Canadian players on visiting teams be given equal consideration to the entire fucking Leaf fanbase coast-to-coast on broadcasts of Leaf games?

he actually admits the real issue in the piece - that leafs fans are the only fanbase that don't get to enjoy an actual home broadcast, like everyone else gets:

isn't Jim talking soley about the Saturday night game?

yeah. national broadcasts don't cheer for a team. see Monday Night Football

On the occasions when Hockey Night in Canada is a matchup between two Canadian teams, like Monday Night Football is always a matchup between two American teams, then fine—bring on the neutral broadcasters.

Neutral broadcasters in that situation would actually be a big step up for Leaf fans from Hughson actively cheering against the Leafs, though I’m sure you’d disagree that he was ever anything but totally fair and impartial.

But if Hockey Night in Canada is a matchup between the Leafs and the New York Islanders, there is zero defensible reason for the guys calling the game to give the Islanders equally favourable coverage. None.

The CBC has always strived to be impartial and above board, to the point of paranoia about hearing about some angry letter from a Nova Scotian to their local MP.

When I worked there, so much of my on air work had to be re tweaked for some reason or another due to possible bias. And that’s after I was already being careful

Not to mention, it’s a little weird to ask your staff to broadcast one way vs the Rangers and another vs the Sens.

Now if you want to diss Sportsnet and TSN broadcasts, that’s another story

"And that’s the problem you get when you’re broadcasting on the national level out of Toronto. They want a local broadcast but at the same time, the broadcasters are broadcasting to every corner of the province. You might be broadcasting a game where the New York Islanders are playing and the young men who play for the Islanders are from all different parts of Canada as well. And their people are invested in it. It’s a really a hard one to win in that sense.”

disgustingly disingenuous.

what's your excuse for when you call the canucks then Jimbo???

I didn't want to say it at the time because it was like 3rd-4th hand info, but one of the orgs I've done work for is a lacrosse team where he's from. Small community, everyone knows each other. A few of the guys I was talking to from there were pretty sure that he was signing in Toronto and his preference was to be closer to home.

It's a business though.

I didn't want to say it at the time because it was like 3rd-4th hand info, but one of the orgs I've done work for is a lacrosse team where he's from. Small community, everyone knows each other. A few of the guys I was talking to from there were pretty sure that he was signing in Toronto and his preference was to be closer to home.

It's a business though.
Leafs simply were not going to that contract IMO

This was his last shot a home run deal and took the moola from the highest bidder

Kraken signed 2 contracts that are going to be fugly in a few years with Chandler

The only D I would off given term to was Skjei

Back