• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

It’s kind of crazy that this guy has worked his way up two of the best drafting orgs for 30 years and this is his first shot to run a deparment, and Dubas gave Clarke a shot with almost no experience because they are friends from home.

"Leach and Holland were among the scouts at a tournament in Europe in 2016 when Heiskanen was an underage prospect. Leach was on staff with Nill and McDonnell in the Red Wings organization and had built up a relationship with Hall of Famer Igor Larionov. In 2016, Larionov had transitioned into his career as an agent. At the tournament, the former Red Wings great asked the two scouts a question.

“He mentioned to us, ‘I want you to see this kid and then tell me, who does he remind you of?’” Leach said. “It didn’t take long to recognize him. Even as a 16-year-old, Miro was very special. … We came out and we talked and I said, ‘Oh my God, he reminds me of Nick Lidstrom.’ His nuances, his thought process, his poise and his patience, all of those things and his ability to be under pressure, it was crazy. I told Igor, ‘It reminds me of Nick. Just totally Nick.’”

"
Oettinger’s allure was in his first impressions, the ones he made and the ones others had of him. Oettinger also had a lot to offer, which led to different elements of his game standing out to different scouts.

“Numerous things, but his size and athleticism were huge,” McDonnell said.

“He had an ability just to make a big save,” Leach said, “Really competed in tough situations when the puck was right in front of him or in the slot area. He never gave up on plays. Just something special about his competitiveness and his will.”

“He is such a calm and composed goalie,” Kolb said. “You notice him in the game, just with his size and the way he plays the game. That hasn’t changed much.”

Kolb and Leach were two of the primary scouts involved with Oettinger. Kolb, based in Minnesota near Oettinger’s hometown, had an early pulse on the goaltender. Leach, who grew up in Boston and is based in New Hampshire, was close to Boston University, where Oettinger played 35 games in 2016-17.

Leach watched a lot of Oettinger but leaned on the expertise of Takko, who was an NHL goaltender himself, on what to look for. The Jack Campbell experiment had officially ended in 2016 when the Stars traded the former first-round draft pick, so it was clear that the organization was going to be in the market for a goaltender in the draft. Athleticism, an ability to read plays, positioning, rebound control and focus with traffic were some of the main things Leach looked for when he watched Oettinger’s games. By the time 2017 rolled around, Leach and many within the Stars felt confident that Oettinger was the best goaltender in that draft."

"
When Leach watched Robertson, he could see why skating was a knock against him but it wasn’t something he overreacted to. When a player has a weakness, two of the main considerations are how much the deficiency is dragging down the overall play and whether that deficiency is something that can be improved upon.

“He had great hands, he had a great release,” Leach said. “He knew where to be. He was dangerous. Once he got to the top of the circle down, he just scored goals. He would get scoring opportunities. His skating was his biggest knock but you can’t teach the things he can do with the puck. You can’t teach his release. He had a knack for scoring goals in all the different ways, with people wrapped around him and pressure on him. He was really good on the power play. If his skating got good enough, he’ll overcome it with his work ethic and drive.

“We saw a kid who’s really offensively talented, has a great set of hands, has a really good release and he scores goals,” Leach said. “I don’t know if we saw a 40-goal scorer.””

the article also talks about Jacob Peterson from that draft, but thankfully no quotes from leach praising him.

Holland on the gratification of seeing Jim Nill and [Dallas Head of Amateur Scouting] Joe McDonnell succeed after working with both in Detroit:

“When we won Game 7 the other night in Vancouver, the next morning I was woken up to a text from Ryan Martin, who's the Assistant General Manager for the New York Rangers just congratulating us both on getting to the Western Conference Final. My assistant is now obviously the Assistant GM with the New York Rangers, so it's kind of strange I guess to see three of us in the final four. Joe McDonnell, Håkan Andersson and Mark Leach were key people with Jim Nill, and when I became manager in 1997, from ‘97 to about ’02 or ’03, certainly they found late-rounders in Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Kronwall and Ericsson. They really found a lot of the players that led to our success from 2005 to 2015. So like you said, Joe McDonnell, Jim Nill, and Mark Leach were scouts on our staff in Detroit. They want to win and we want to win. It's going to be a great week. But certainly, Jim and Mark Leach and Joe McDonnell, my brother Dennis, have done an amazing job at the draft table in building the team that they've got.

I always assumed the secret sauce to Dallas and Detroit was Joe McDonnell. Never heard of this guy. But if he's an unsung hero I'll take it.

It’s solid business to poach from the best.

Huge upgrade in approach over just hiring whoever was in the Soo 10 years ago.

Back