• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

View: https://twitter.com/LeafsSeason/status/1790017902390718777?t=dBZTBwWkGAz5-f26K7l3FA&s=19

Get ready for some of this. This is what you get when you hire an ex goon with a bad temper for a coach. Fuck it. We'll do it live.

Somehow I doubt that approach is going to work with the coddled superstar named Marner, who has never been held accountable for anything, ever. If I'm Berube the only question I have if I'm offered that job is: "Do I have to be nice to certain players? Am I allowed to call people out regardless of how much money they make or how much oxygen they take up in the room? Because if I don't, then there's no point to any of this and I'm not the coach for you."

Friedman (Tree) said that last year the Leafs were looking for the best possible dman they could get for Willy, and they'll look for the same thing for Marner. Didn't find a good deal for Willy though.
It's an interesting year with so many real gud ufa d. Yes it would be delightful to turn Mitch into an elite d but the availability of solid ufa d could mean they go for a dubois(+++ I hope) package instead. A nice mix of some young 1st line caliber talent, forward or d, and use the cap savings from trading him and ideally JT to grab one or two of the ufa d. Of course that likely means they lose the trade but do your homework and you can find some gems.

I'm sure the Leafs are also sick of Mitch's camps shit. There were rumblings years ago about his dad almost getting him traded. I don't think there's a chance in hell they sign up for more of that long-term.

??

how does tough love from berube actually help tavares tho.
It helps Tavares realize that the C on his jersey isn't going to buy him anything with the coach. His ice time and his stature within the club is getting reduced and if he doesn't accept it, his ice time will be further reduced until he becomes a healthy scratch. It's time to make Matthews the captain and shuffle Tavares out like the Sharks did with Marleau.

It's an interesting year with so many real gud ufa d. Yes it would be delightful to turn Mitch into an elite d but the availability of solid ufa d could mean they go for a dubois(+++ I hope) package instead. A nice mix of some young 1st line caliber talent, forward or d, and use the cap savings from trading him and ideally JT to grab one or two of the ufa d. Of course that likely means they lose the trade but do your homework and you can find some gems.

I'm sure the Leafs are also sick of Mitch's camps shit. There were rumblings years ago about his dad almost getting him traded. I don't think there's a chance in hell they sign up for more of that long-term.
Marner to the Kings for Doughty, Danault, and Dubois.

I have zero trust in these guys.

Marner should use that NMC all year long and wait them out. Tredonkey and Shanny should be gone in a year, Marner for sure will have posted a superstar year with the contract expiring, and he can then negotiate his new deal with the new GM.

yeah i knew it'd be a dumb fucking answer.
You still want Tavares captaining your team and getting top 6 minutes? I wouldn't. It pains me to say it because Tavares was a General but he has no leadership capacity. He's not a winner and I did not like anything about his post-season interview. He did not say any of the right things. He owned none of it. If I'm a player in that dressing room I'm not going to war for that guy.

This leadership shit is pure garbage.

Every top player has to lead by example. The C is purely a ceremonial and prestige thing, nothing more.

Like if Matty's jersey had the C, we'd be playing Florida right now? Nonsense that has turned into a talking point.

I'm sure if Willy didn't like Tavares' interview, he'd be inclined to just roll over and die in the playoffs.

Hold on I didn't say trade for dubois. I said a multi piece package of youth like the dubois trade. But obviously on a far larger scale since Marner is way better.

Everyone is looking for that d but if a true #1 stud isn't available maybe address that need in free agency instead. And if you're dead set on trading Marner I bet they can easily find those multi piece dubois esque packages out there. That requires some high end scouting and talent hunting ability tho to get it right and uhhh Tre don't have that.

Tldr: I'm pre coping with what will likely be a very underwhelming trade. I very much prefer they go stud d or keep him.

Does his NMC allow for trades limited only to guys whose names start with "D"?
Just a co-inky-dink.

It's not a trade for the future, it's a trade for right now. The Leafs need to push all their chips to the center of the table if Shanahan is to save a shred of dignity before he's fired. Doughty is old, he's not going to be playing for 10 more years, but he's still elite now and he is both skilled and truculent, as opposed to just the latter like an Edmundson. Danault can do to opposing star players what he did in 2021 to the Leafs star players: shut them down. And PLD is the poison pill but what if he suddenly decides to wake up and play to his full potential just once?

It's either 2024-25 or god-knows-when. After next season the window is officially slammed and painted shut.

Seth Jones will be on the top pairing this fall. Makes too much sense financially for Bundy not to make that swap and get his big name D

You still want Tavares captaining your team and getting top 6 minutes? I wouldn't. It pains me to say it because Tavares was a General but he has no leadership capacity. He's not a winner and I did not like anything about his post-season interview. He did not say any of the right things. He owned none of it. If I'm a player in that dressing room I'm not going to war for that guy.
Tavares needs to suddenly be able to skate and a lower cap hit, not tough love. Keefe already had him at 3C this year.

Oh God I forgot that Tre is gm, maybe he'll actually trade Marner for Dubois. It would be the first time wehave has ever been right so I'm not holding my breath on that

Back