• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

My opinion on Pelley isn't particularly positive at the moment, but I still think Shanahan's tenure being a matter for the next board meeting and not necessarily something within Pelley's immediate powers to decide is a theory that makes a lot of sense. President really isn't a day to day hockey ops position here, so there's no time sensitivity in dealing with it at the board meeting coming up in ~2 weeks.

I would buy your theory if Shanny wasn’t busy interviewing coaching prospects at the moment.. we’ll see

System has a bunch of good young wingers, I don't see a 2C going forward though. It'd be nice to get a young one if we were to move Marner.

That's what I'm thinking. Byfield (I know they moved him to wing for a lot of this year, but that's more roster needs with Kopitar-Danault in house already imo) should be high on the list of wants. Big, skilled. Dealing with 6'3 220 Auston and then 6'5 225 Byfield for 40 minutes a night would probably be some kinda whore for an opposition coach especially if we put some greasy pace and hands on their flanks.

It sure feels like it's gonna happen quick if it happens at all. It's a big salary to add and pre-draft is when teams will have the space to add it. And the Leafs will want to know what kind of cap space they'll have what their needs will be in UFA season. The Marner trade will shape all of that. It's not the kind of trade that drags on I think.

I think his value goes down the longer you wait because fewer teams will be in the running by July 5th + you may miss out on addressing your own needs on day 1-2 of free agency.

It sure feels like it's gonna happen quick if it happens at all. It's a big salary to add and pre-draft is when teams will have the space to add it. And the Leafs will want to know what kind of cap space they'll have what their needs will be in UFA season. The Marner trade will shape all of that. It's not the kind of trade that drags on I think.

I think his value goes down the longer you wait because fewer teams will be in the running by July 5th + you may miss out on addressing your own needs on day 1-2 of free agency.
Bonus point: we'll know exactly what the trade will be or who they're targeting within a few weeks or whenever Tre tells Elliotte Friedman.

If Marner were Rielly and not a Leaf lifer from birth, I'm sure he'd have no problem waiving.

I think they will run into a big problem telling the local kid who had every single star align for him to become a star for the Leafs that he needs to agree to leave, and leave early at that.

All I know is that if it were me, I'd feel like a bunch of clowns were trying to scapegoat me for the team's failures, and that I could fuck them in a big way by walking myself to free agency where they'd get nothing. It's not like the players are sour on Marner. The most important one is his best friend. There isn't some issue in the room that he'd want to escape from. It's just incompetent management wanting to run him out of town.

He knows that if he knocks it out of the park next year, the fans will fully embrace him and be all over the team to resign him. If he wants to stay, that should be his only play. If it doesn't work out, he's the biggest UFA of 2025 and can literally go wherever he wants.

If Mitch can go somewhere that isn't a hell hole attached with an extension that gives him 90+ million guaranteed dollars, I think he'll take it. Sure beats risking a poor season or injury that knocks his value down tens of millions of dollars.

I don't think he cares about which teams pajamas he wore when he was 6. He's taking the money.

He has more money than he could ever spend already. The likelihood of some career crushing injury, or suddenly not being a 90-100 point guy, is exceedingly low. I think the sentimentality might mean a lot, especially to a guy like him, who isn't as subdued as Matty or detached like Willy.

Back