• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

He acts like someone who just had a shitty playoffs and is getting a lot of the blame.

A competitor like him likely wants to come back and silence the critics, not let himself get run out of town.

He has more money than he could ever spend already. The likelihood of some career crushing injury, or suddenly not being a 90-100 point guy, is exceedingly low. I think the sentimentality might mean a lot, especially to a guy like him, who isn't as subdued as Matty or detached like Willy.
It's possible to enjoy life outside of Toronto. Probably far likelier than in Toronto for Mitch. I mean it worked for you, didn't it? All you need is a Harvey's in LA and you'd be set.

Low odds of injury or not, anyone will take a secured bag. Of course he'll work with the Leafs to find him a destination. He's not 6. They're not that attached to a logo.

A competitor like him likely wants to come back and silence the critics, not let himself get run out of town.
That might be the last word I'd use to describe Mitch. Skilled, mega talented, super elite, yes. But a competitor? Is that really the vibe you get from him?

Anyway if he really was a competitor he has too much pride to come back to an organization that doesn't want him and he puts up an elite year next year and leads a team to a cup. That's what a competitor does in this situation.

That might be the last word I'd use to describe Mitch. Skilled, mega talented, super elite, yes. But a competitor? Is that really the vibe you get from him?

Anyway if he really was a competitor he has too much pride to come back to an organization that doesn't want him and he puts up an elite year next year and leads a team to a cup. That's what a competitor does in this situation.

Keefe and Dubas ruined him. Wanted to check how Cowens 26 playoff points compared to Marners OHL champ run… he had 44 points. In 18 games.

If Marner were Rielly and not a Leaf lifer from birth, I'm sure he'd have no problem waiving.

I think they will run into a big problem telling the local kid who had every single star align for him to become a star for the Leafs that he needs to agree to leave, and leave early at that.

All I know is that if it were me, I'd feel like a bunch of clowns were trying to scapegoat me for the team's failures, and that I could fuck them in a big way by walking myself to free agency where they'd get nothing. It's not like the players are sour on Marner. The most important one is his best friend. There isn't some issue in the room that he'd want to escape from. It's just incompetent management wanting to run him out of town.

He knows that if he knocks it out of the park next year, the fans will fully embrace him and be all over the team to resign him. If he wants to stay, that should be his only play. If it doesn't work out, he's the biggest UFA of 2025 and can literally go wherever he wants.
It amazes me you could watch Marner be so not passionate on the ice and then assume he’s this die hard Leaf homer off it.

It’s a business for 99% of these dudes and Mitch is looking for a mega extension the Leafs probably can’t do, and that’s to say nothing about the abuse he takes from the media and fans alike as the current whipping boy along with the Captain

I don’t even think the issue is Marner trying hard. They have him playing a way that doesn’t suit his game. He’s still been the Leafs most prolific playoff scorer, and his defensive numbers are ridiculous.

The only rational reason to trade him is because that money is better spent on a dman rather than spending $40 mill on 3 forwards.

Yeah, for clarity we should have no issues with firing JT out of a cannon for cap space to spend on the blueline & extending Mitch if there's nothing out there in trade that actually helps us.

Mitch is not a dump, full stop.

Bonus point: we'll know exactly what the trade will be or who they're targeting within a few weeks or whenever Tre tells Elliotte Friedman.
No, we will know that a trade is in the works but of course Friedman will just drop hints and not tell us what he knows. Then he will "break" the trade about 90 seconds before it's announced publicly.

120 Lines have seen 10+ minutes together these playoffs.

xGF%

#37: Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok 58.9% (-1)
#44: Knies-Tavares-Nylander 55.1% (+2)
#47: Bertuzzi-Domi-Marner 53.6% (+2)
#53: Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi 51.2% (+1)
#89: Knies-Tavares-Marner 40.7% (+0)
#99: Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok 32.6% (+0)
#106: Dewar-Kampf-Reaves 28.5% (+0)

107 D-Pairs have seen 10+ minutes:

#22: Rielly-McCabe 62.9% (+0)
#39: Rielly-Boosh 55.4% (+2)
#54: Edmundson-Brodie 51.2% (-1)
#62: Benoit-McCabe 48.2% (-1)
#83: Edmundson-Lilly 37.9% (-2)
#104: Rielly-Lilly 26.1% (+1)

Marner is way better though and 27.
The Leafs need to win one Cup and they need to win it sooner rather than later. If they win it, they can go another 20 years out of the playoffs and no one cares because it's all just so much gravy. Once you have the Cup you have it forever and it justifies whatever you had to do to win it.

If trading a 27 year old Marner for a 37 year old Kopitar wins you a Cup next season, precisely NO ONE will give a shit that you no longer have Marner and Kopitar just announced his retirement. Win the Cup by whatever means necessary now and worry about the rest of it later.

.... Toronto

#gorges

lol, idiot. That's how you end up in Buffalo.

Gorges1.jpg

Back